• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV sounds

hbk6161

I'm brand new to metal detecting and very eager to learn!

Since I'm a newbie, I decided to read some reviews and buy a lower priced model to see if the new hobby would stick. If it does, then I will pay up to get a nicer model.

However, I took the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV out yesterday for the first time. I read the manual and completed the full set-up. I am having three problems that I am hoping to get help with:

1) The tones emitted from the detector (with and without headphones) is VERY low...almost inaudible. Is there a setting or something I can do to adjust this? My headphones have stereo/mono settings and volume adjustments. I fiddled with every possible combination and I couldn't get it to work.

2) When I turn the left nob on (to power), the needle automatically shoots to to about 1 o'clock on the dial. This didn't seem right and the manual didn't make note of it. When I have the disc over metal objects, the needle doesn't bounce either.

3) While hunting, the tone (that I could barely hear) would start to give off a continuous tone...without stopping. The manual suggested that I turn down the sensitivity and it would stop. It would, and I would scan again only to be greeted with the same tone until I completely turned the power off.

I'm really looking forward to hunting, but I didn't have any luck. Any advice would be much appreciated!

I have a new Tracker IV as well and the beeps are LOUD as heck. Thank goodness for volume control on my headphones or it would hurt my ears.

I've played with the controls a lot and I don't think there is a setting that would give me a continuous tone. Sounds like a problem to me. If it were me I'd return it for another unit.

I think the needle jumps when I turn mine on also... I don't really look at the needle for anything... it's just there.

I have this one

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 818
I started with a Tracker IV but don't remember much about it other than that I did really like it. I do recall the needle gauge being absolutely worthless. But even on my Etrac the more I use it the less I use the screen, just listen for the sounds. It sounds like you might have an audio problem, either with the machine, your headphones, or your ears. I remember using headphones on mine because the sound was pretty strong and I didn't want everyone hearing me beeping. Also, one thing I did was cranked the discrimination knob all the way up and air tested a couple nickels. Once I could pick nickels up on air tests I made a little dot with a silver permanent marker next to the knob so I knew where to keep my DISC knob.

Needle gauge is completely useless, so I wouldn't even worry about that, but it should sound off loud and clear. If you plug in headphones without volume control, it should be so loud it hurts.

I would return it, you have something wrong with the sound for sure.

Started with the Tracker 4 and it is the absolute best machine to learn on.

I run a BH TRKIV. My needle jumps when the unit is turned on, but then drops back to zero until a target is hit.
Mine is also so loud that I am embarrassed to use it without headphones when hunting in parks (I typically use headphones no matter where I hunt though). Sounds like yours might not be working correctly. Definitely check the batteries and coil connection before returning it. From what I understand one of the two 9volts is dedicated to the speaker/sound, but that could be incorrect.
The TRKIV is a really great beginner's unit and quite a capable economical machine. FWIW. Good luck.

Just looked at the manual and it says if the unit is emitting a constant loud tone, or constant repeating tones, it could be the batteries.

Ive been hunting with the bounty hunter for several months now and I love this machine.
The audio is LOUD.
Headphones are a must and I found that I did better with the gold 1/4"-1/8" connector than with the black plastic one (radio shack for $2/black or $7/gold). The black one did not connect well with the 1/8" and I got a lot of scratchy beeps that would come out loud and clear without the headphones. When I switched to the gold connector it eliminated the problem.

The needle reading is worthless. Just pretend it is not there.
I've been doing a bunch of dry-sand hunting at the beach with the BHIV and I love the discrimination. Its not super deep but who cares? If you get serious you can upgrade. Its a great machine to learn on with minimum $$ output.

Sounds like something is defective on yours.

Back
Top Bottom