Nox 600/800 favorite programs

bbqfreak

Forum Supporter
thought maybe we could get 600/800 users that have fine tuned a program to conditions to post up what settings they are using. thanks in advance

To me, most of the Nox's settings are dependent on the type of targets and sites you're hunting. Things like recovery speed, iron bias and sensitivity are best adjusted on site once you have a good idea of what you're dealing with. Using someone else's settings isn't really ideal. Other settings like target volume and target tones are personal preference. All that really leaves is what you want to accept or reject and tone breaks. Pretty straight forward depending on what you're looking for.

For coin shooting I usually start off with Park 2 in 5 tones. I don't use any discrimination whatsoever.. I just turn the volume all the way off for target ranges that I don't want to hear. Not sure if this is possible on the 600 but it works well on the 800.
I have target volume for -9 through 10 (Tone 1 - iron/foil/small jewelry) set to 0.
11-13 (Tone 2 - Nickel range) set to a low tone, volume at 25.
14-16 (Tone 3 - Pulltab & junk range) volume is set to 0.
17-22 (Tone 4 - IHP and Zinc penny range) set to a mid tone, volume at 25.
23+ (Tone 5 - Silver & Copper coin range) is set to the highest tone with the volume at 25.
Recovery speed, iron bias and sensitivity are all set based on the site (EMI, iron/trash content, etc).

To me, most of the Nox's settings are dependent on the type of targets and sites you're hunting. Things like recovery speed, iron bias and sensitivity are best adjusted on site once you have a good idea of what you're dealing with. Using someone else's settings isn't really ideal. Other settings like target volume and target tones are personal preference. All that really leaves is what you want to accept or reject and tone breaks. Pretty straight forward depending on what you're looking for.

Could you explain the "IRON BIAS" settings on the Nox 600 unit? I can't seem to understand how that works or to set it up properly... I am hoping that it might help with finding Canadian clad coins better if maybe I had that part set up better.. My understanding that our coins are mostly steel clad coins that most modes on the Nox 600 is ignoring except for F2 and P2..

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Not a lot of tone type setup available on 600, I just remove numbers that I'm not wanting. 12-13 then 24-40, for example. Adjust the 20 to whatever your tolerance is for Felix pennies.

BCD

For coin shooting I usually start off with Park 2 in 5 tones. I don't use any discrimination whatsoever.. I just turn the volume all the way off for target ranges that I don't want to hear. Not sure if this is possible on the 600 but it works well on the 800.
I have target volume for -9 through 10 (Tone 1 - iron/foil/small jewelry) set to 0.
23+ (Tone 5 - Silver & Copper coin range) is set to the highest tone with the volume at 25.
Recovery speed, iron bias and sensitivity are all set based on the site (EMI, iron/trash content, etc).

Could you explain the "IRON BIAS" settings on the Nox 600 unit? I can't seem to understand how that works or to set it up properly... I am hoping that it might help with finding Canadian clad coins better if maybe I had that part set up better.. My understanding that our coins are mostly steel clad coins that most modes on the Nox 600 is ignoring except for F2 and P2..

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Short answer: The iron bias setting determines whether the detector will classify the target as iron if it presents both ferrous and non-ferrous properties. A lower setting will give a more natural response, meaning you may hear more non-ferrous tones and ID from ferrous targets. A higher setting will increase the odds that the iron target will be classified as iron, but at the expense of missing some non-ferrous targets located near ferrous targets.

A detailed explanation can be found here:
http://thesilverfiend.com/minelab-equinox-iron-bias-explained/

And in the manual here:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1358594/Minelab-Equinox-600.html?page=52

thank you very much. just trying to get some starter points

Short answer: The iron bias setting determines whether the detector will classify the target as iron if it presents both ferrous and non-ferrous properties. A lower setting will give a more natural response, meaning you may hear more non-ferrous tones and ID from ferrous targets. A higher setting will increase the odds that the iron target will be classified as iron, but at the expense of missing some non-ferrous targets located near ferrous targets.

A detailed explanation can be found here:
http://thesilverfiend.com/minelab-equinox-iron-bias-explained/

And in the manual here:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1358594/Minelab-Equinox-600.html?page=52

thanks this helps alot

Just for giggles, I ran my NOX today in park 2 mode using similar tone breaks and volumes. All I can say is that it was spot on today. I’m going to give it another shot tomorrow morning and we will see how it does hunting a trash infested park. I’ll report back.

Thank you for this. I just ordered a Nox 800 yesterday and need this :)

I'm curious though, where does gold fall in this program? On my AT Pro, gold falls around pulltab range. Is it different on the Nox?

I use pretty much the factory settings.

For gold & tot lots I use Coin 2 with recovery speed at 8
For coins in parks/schools etc. I use Coin 1 with the recovery speed at 3

I was under the impression the Iron Bias was like the discrimination setting for non-ferrous. In other words the higher the number the less you'll hear targets in the iron range.

I'm curious though, where does gold fall in this program? On my AT Pro, gold falls around pulltab range. Is it different on the Nox?

It isn't. Gold runs as low as 0+-2 to as high as 17-18 for the chunky stuff.

BCD

You're welcome.

Gold can read all over the place. The settings I posted are for coin shooting.. For Coin & Jewelry you'd need to un-mute the ranges BCD mentioned in his post above.

Thanks to both (all) of you. I have a boatload to learn...and only a short time left in the season :)

It's gonna be an interesting spring though, when I get to REALLY get into details..

So here is my report from this mornings hunt as promised...over $3.00 in clad and a sterling silver ring in a little less than 2 hours. There were no nickels o be had today. As far as junk goes, the only trash I dug, was 1 pull tab, a small paint can lid, a bolt and a small piece of aluminum fence wire and that was digging every solid signal I had. For coin shooting, I must say this works very well!

Eric

Attachments

• C23C86BA-275E-4D19-84E6-C38016EC5186.jpg
    C23C86BA-275E-4D19-84E6-C38016EC5186.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 764
Back
Top Bottom