Nel Sharpshooter VDI ????

pennypicker

I just got a Nel Sharpshooter to try in place of my Garrett 5x8 on my AtPro. So far I like it, maybe a little better than the 5x8. It hits on coins hard and with solid VDI.
The one thing I can't figure out is how to distinguish a copper penny from a clad dime before digging it. The Nel shows a solid VDI of 80 and exactly the same tone for both. The 5x8 would show 80-81 for the copper penny and 81-82 for the clad dime.
My question is, does anyone else notice this or is it unique to my machine? All other coins read exactly the same on both. Gold and silver are all over the board on both anyway so I'm not concerned about that.
I know this isn't a big issue, but I'm just curious why the copper penny and clad dime both read an identical solid 80 on the Nel and a bouncy 80-81/ 81-82 on the 5x8.
Actually, I really care because my Bro and I have a little competition goin on where we call the coin before we dig and this is gonna mess me up. :sissyfight:

I have a garret at max and have purchased the nel sharpshooter mine is the same way dimes 82 and penny's 80 to 81

Just to add, not that this is a bad topic or discussion..

The subject matter, of one number difference and what others are experiencing is almost a moot point..

With slight variables from machine to machine, and slight differences in the same coils, differences in battery levels, different soil mineralization, swing speed, coil height..

Pennypicker, I suggest trying a few things like adding or dropping your sensitivity by one, or manually raising or dropping your ground balance.. Those things might help your machine see the difference..

Also remember to perform a hard reset every time you change coils...

Good luck to all!!

<°)))>{

Just to add, not that this is a bad topic or discussion..

The subject matter, of one number difference and what others are experiencing is almost a moot point..

With slight variables from machine to machine, and slight differences in the same coils, differences in battery levels, different soil mineralization, swing speed, coil height..

Pennypicker, I suggest trying a few things like adding or dropping your sensitivity by one, or manually raising or dropping your ground balance.. Those things might help your machine see the difference..

Also remember to perform a hard reset every time you change coils...

Good luck to all!!

<°)))>{

This right here! The numbers vary. To add to icescratcher's list of why, there's also the corrosion of the coin which makes a big difference in how it will read. He probably was including this when he said soil mineralization. This is not a cut and dried hobby by any means!

Back
Top Bottom