A couple of pennies and ??

JimR_TN

Elite Member
I had a good day today. I was cold, but I was out and digging! Didn't find much, but also very little trash. Mostly the remains of old shotgun shells along with lead from rifles. I did find 2 old wheat pennies, a 1942 and a 1919. Later I found a buckle and an odd heavy piece.

Any idea what type and age that buckle is? And the heavy piece seems familiar, yet I can't place it. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 1262020.jpg
    1262020.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 337
  • 1262020a.jpg
    1262020a.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 333
  • 01262020c.jpg
    01262020c.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 312
Question, would that type of tent rope tightener be used by the US Army in training during WWII? They were training in my area and I've already heard stories of them being very close to where I'm hunting. In the same area I have found 5 wheat pennies, 4 of 5 were dated 1939-1942. I also found a 1941 Jefferson nickel.

I've also found a ton of 12 gauge shotgun shells so it could just have been hunters.

Buckle

The buckle looks like WWII helmet (steel pot) chin strap buckle. Look at J. Murray website. He does WWII helmet restorations and is an authority on those kind of parts.

The tent rope tightener was Spanish American war into WWI. Type in U. S. Army tent rope tighteners in Google and you will find a bunch about them. They are not civil war era, regardless of what you might read.

Thanks for all the help! This is just an empty wooded area next to a church, but with the WWII helmet chin strap (thanks noluckl), the tent stake and the 1939-1942 coins I think I have stumbled onto a camp that was part of the Tennessee Maneuvers. During WWII the 2nd Army trained in our area and as this particular area was primarily farmland they had exercises here.

https://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/entries/second-army-tennessee-maneuvers/

Back
Top Bottom