Equinox coil ear stiffener and repair

Dan B.

Elite Member
I came across this 3D printer program that solves the issue of coil ear breaking off. I went to our local library this morning they saved the program to their 3D printer and created me this part. With a little cleanup with a razor blade it fits perfectly. I sure hope this is helpful. Here is the link so the file can be downloaded.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3949618

Attachments

• IMG_20191102_122901.jpg
    IMG_20191102_122901.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 4,653
  • IMG_20191102_124134.jpg
    IMG_20191102_124134.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 4,297
  • IMG_20191102_124112.jpg
    IMG_20191102_124112.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 4,038
Cool! So does that just reinforce the existing coil ears? Does the stock bolt still work just fine?

Edit: Also does it work the same for the 15", Stock, and 6" inch coils?

Cool! So does that just reinforce the existing coil ears? Does the stock bolt still work just fine?

Edit: Also does it work the same for the 15", Stock, and 6" inch coils?

Yes it reinforces the existing ears. There is one model for the 11 and 15 inch coil and a different model for the 6-inch coil they also have one for coils that have already broken off the ear. The library only charged me a dollar. Pretty good deal.

I like it! Looks like it would distribute/diffuse/reinforce the stress point areas; preventing a busted coil ear. The strap-on repair design is clever too!
I am now wondering if there's a library around here with a 3D printer...

I came across this 3D printer program that solves the issue of coil ear breaking off. I went to our local library this morning they saved the program to their 3D printer and created me this part. With a little cleanup with a razor blade it fits perfectly. I sure hope this is helpful. Here is the link so the file can be downloaded.

It looks like the original bolt in the photo, and not a 3d printed one, so I'm assuming the original bolt is still long enough for the standard coil? I have a buddy who can print one of these for me.

It looks like the original bolt in the photo, and not a 3d printed one, so I'm assuming the original bolt is still long enough for the standard coil? I have a buddy who can print one of these for me.

Yes the original bolt fit fine. I only had to clean a little flashing out of the hole for the original bolt to fit through. I noticed that the instructions changed the fill percentage.

I came across this 3D printer program that solves the issue of coil ear breaking off..........

Picked mine up last night from a buddy with a 3D printer. Clever design, perfect fit, and clearly does what it's designed to do. The original bolt is just long enough that the nut turns and tightens enough that I'm not worried about it backing itself off.

Attachments

• nox with reinforcement ears.jpg
    nox with reinforcement ears.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 3,626
There is a place that makes them.
I ordered mine back in November and love them and are in red.
Their is a difference between the 6” and the 11”/15” coils so when I ordered them I ordered one for each coil. $15 each
I really like them.

Doug

There is a place that makes them.
I ordered mine back in November and love them and are in red.
Their is a difference between the 6” and the 11”/15” coils so when I ordered them I ordered one for each coil. $15 each
I really like them.

Doug

Where did you orders yours from please?
Looks like some good insurance long term.

Don’t pay $15, it’s like 2 cents worth of plastic and 5 cents of electric. If you want let me know what color you like and how many you want for which coils and I’ll send them to you.

So, couple questions.
What you have, is this to reinforce existing ears?
Or can this what you have be used to help a person with broken ear on Eqx coil where piece is infact misssing in action?

There is gent on detector prospector forum who has broken coil ear and has lost piece of ear.

I’ll take one in black for each size of the Eqx coils. 6”, 11”, 15” coils.
I will send private message here with mailing info.
And naturally I will send you compensation for your troubles.

There is two different types, the first is to reinforce coils and the second type is to reinforce and fix if a coil ear is already broken off.

If you goto Thingiverse.com, you can see all the different mods available by searching “minelab” or “Minelab Equinox”.

Also, there is a service called 3D Hubs, at 3dhubs.com, where local people outsource their 3D printers for a small fee. So let’s say you see something cool on Thingiverse, just download the STL file, plug it in 3D Hubs with your zip code, and you’ll get prices to have someone make it for you. Most often it’s a lot cheaper than those with 3D printers selling on eBay.

I’ll get those 3 done and out this week. I’m not on the Detector Prospector forum, but I’m happy to make the broken ear one for him also if you want to reach out to him.

Gent who need help seems is member here as well and is named castleberry.
https://www.detectorprospector.com/...rs-fixprevention/?tab=comments#comment-112648

Thanks for the mention TNSS .. And ChrisMD Yes, already broken on one side, if I could get ahold of the repair one I'd be grateful ... 11" coil, be glad to pay you for your troubles as well..

Best Regards

Brian

Attachments

• 20200105_135433.jpg
    20200105_135433.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 3,482
Thanks for the mention TNSS .. And ChrisMD Yes, already broken on one side, if I could get ahold of the repair one I'd be grateful ... 11" coil, be glad to pay you for your troubles as well..

Best Regards

Brian

No sweat.
Your problem, helped me too.
Thanks.

ChrisMD, Im having senior moments with the PM system LOL, please let me know if you have received my info ...

Thanks

Brian

I had my local library print one for me. It's white. Can they be spray-painted without affecting the coil?

I went back to my local library today, and had them print me a 3D ear stiffener for my 6-inch coil with the program they save the last time I was there. They did a good job it fits perfect and it only cost me $1.

Once again here is the link to the 3D blueprints.

Attachments

• IMG_20200111_171952.jpg
    IMG_20200111_171952.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,293
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom