Sundial watch

YooperBSN

Found this the other day at an old foundation site. No markings on the back that I can see, have not been able to find any examples this far online. Any ideas?

Attachments

• sundial 1.jpg
    sundial 1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 312
  • sundial 2.jpg
    sundial 2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 275
No idea. But that is one Awesome find....:shock:

In my short time doing this, I have never even heard of such an object. I tried to bend things back into place but this thing is TOUGH! Almost no weight to it though...I'm stumped as to what it could be made of.

In my short time doing this, I have never even heard of such an object. I tried to bend things back into place but this thing is TOUGH! Almost no weight to it though...I'm stumped as to what it could be made of.

Stainless Steel maybe?

Probably hardened aluminum

Yes, 1/16" thick alum is hard to bend.
Aluminum would indicate 20th century.

Looks like it went on a strap. Also a Sun dial needs to be pointed North so a Compass is part of a portable sun dial. I don't see a provision for a compass.

Did a google search on "wrist strap sun dial" and found lots that are close in concept but not the one you found.

Looks like the "needle" goes side to side, and does not move clockwise/counterclockwise. That's a cool and mysterious relic, hope someone can ID it!

Huh?

Found this the other day at an old foundation site. No markings on the back that I can see, have not been able to find any examples this far online. Any ideas?

Wow cool find. I hope somebody can shed some light on it. Funny thing I found one of those last year and close by was a part of a big fancy case. Not sure if it goes with the sun dial or not. Found at an 1840s home site. I believe it is aluminum as it will start to corrode if in the ground long enough. Aluminum was first on the scene in 1825 and used commercially by the 1880s. Good luck Mark

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 236
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 221
Wow cool find. I hope somebody can shed some light on it. Funny thing I found one of those last year and close by was a part of a big fancy case. Not sure if it goes with the sun dial or not. Found at an 1840s home site. I believe it is aluminum as it will start to corrode if in the ground long enough. Aluminum was first on the scene in 1825 and used commercially by the 1880s. Good luck Mark

:holycow: that is, from what I can tell a dead ringer for mine. Any chance you still have those items handy and could post some clearer close-ups of both the watch and the case? I would say that the location where I found the sundial watch could be late 1800s to early 1900s as one item I found was a 1915 lucky penny from Detroit.

Would the sundial fold up for use (to cast a shadow) or maybe got flattened in the ground? Found this pic labeled 1920s sundial pocket watch where it looks like the sundial tucks into the face when not being used.

Attachments

• Sundial watch nope.jpg
    Sundial watch nope.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 169

Here you go. More photos in the link. Looks like 1930s-1950s style graphic design. There are some references online to Budan Plastic and Metal Products Co. being around in the 1940s.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Childs-Sundial-Watch/124050913204

Attachments

• Captur33434e.jpg
    Captur33434e.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 176
That is really cool! Thanks! How did you end up finding it?

Based on the size I figured it was a child's watch. So, I searched Ebay for "child sundial watch" Usually I turn on the "completed listings" option to get more results, but this one just so happened to have an active listing. It was the first result.

Well, that's where I fell short then lol. I used just about every combination of "sundial", "watch", "vintage", etc but didnt include "child" or search ebay. Just used Google. Thanks TS!

Well, that's where I fell short then lol. I used just about every combination of "sundial", "watch", "vintage", etc but didnt include "child" or search ebay. Just used Google. Thanks TS!

A "completed listings" search on Ebay is often pretty good at finding these kinds of things, and a google search usually won't pick up those listings/images. Not only that, Google and become worse and worse about getting results from things like hobby and collector websites. They're all about whose paying to be in the top level of search results.

:holycow: that is, from what I can tell a dead ringer for mine. Any chance you still have those items handy and could post some clearer close-ups of both the watch and the case? I would say that the location where I found the sundial watch could be late 1800s to early 1900s as one item I found was a 1915 lucky penny from Detroit.

Was sending pics. No need now. Glad TS Id it. I always wondered about it. Thanks TS. Mark

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom