ATPRO BROKEN COIL Can it be fixed

catskillcomics

We've had some mild weather this past week, melting most of the snow and the ground was soft so I went out detecting this morning.. Things were going along ok then all of the sudden my detector went haywire. Went over the entire detector to see what it could be an then I noticed a big chunk out of the bottom of the coil. Do you think this is why my detector was going crazy on every frequency? And do you think if I used a plastic JB weld filler if that would fix the issue, or should I just junk it and get a new one.

Attachments

• 20191215_120529.jpg
    20191215_120529.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 487
Do you use a coil cover ? I won't MD without one.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

It looks like it needs to be scrapped.
I have a new stock coil laying around somewhere if you are interested, send me PM.

From the picture it does not look like the coil inside is exposed or damaged.

Possible this missing chunk happened a while ago and the problem is caused by something else like a connector gone bad in the cable connector or something inside the detector.

First thing to do is try another coil to ensure the problem is with the coil (cable & connector) or with the detector.

If the coil then check the connector on the cable as this is a common place for trouble.

I've had this issue in the past, as soon as moisture gets into the void, your detector goes bonkers! I refilled my 5x8 coil with some epoxy at home and still have it to this day. Still works great! I would fill the void and then wrap it tight with electrical tape, then throw a coil cover on it. Will save you 75-125$ for a new coil anyway, unless its still under warranty? Here's the thread...
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=267697

Back
Top Bottom