Beach settings for Equinox 600/800

landuse

So there have been a lot of threads about hunting on the beach with the NOX, so it would be nice get some advice from those of you who have now done it enough times to lock down what they think are the best settings for wet sand as water hunting.

Which beach mode did you choose for what location? Did you tweek the settings at all and find them better than the factory settings. Auto ground balancing? Noise cancellation?

It would be nice to see if all you beach hinters are leaning the same way with your settings.

And yes, I am also asking so that I don't have to spend all that time trying different scenarios myself:D

:roll::roll::roll:

Ill just say at this point i dont have enough time on the machine..... but i have learned a few things. I like field 2 in the DRY sand..... and try to use beach 1 in the wet and in the water. Until i get some waterproof phones thou ... i dont know about deep. We may also have to change our understanding of WET sand. The other day i was hunting at the towel line...... which for most machines is the dry sand. But that morning we had one of those really wet drippy fogs and had a tide that came way up on the shore. I went to use field mode...... it went nuts... then went into park mode it did the same thing. What i realized was the dampness made the sand to HOT for these modes. Both beach modes worked find. Once the sun came out the others ran fine.

There's a lot of chatter in the forum section for "All about detectors" one thread is like 51 pages long I think ;) You will probably find a lot of useful info there, eventhough this is the beach section. :D

There's a lot of chatter in the forum section for "All about detectors" one thread is like 51 pages long I think ;) You will probably find a lot of useful info there, eventhough this is the beach section. :D

I had a look at that thread, and it was so long that I thought it might be easier to have a separate thread that just spoke about beach settings. I think that thread is over 60 pages long now:D Awesome info in it, but really hard to get specifics without going through each page

The issue with (best beach settings) white sand beaches of Florida vs the black sand beaches of southern California , becomes a big difference in detector settings.

I used mine once in beach 1 recovery speed 6 .I didn't noise cancel.
It ran smooth and got deep quarters/nickel/penny/fishing weights.

Ive used mine 2x now. Both at the beach and I come from the CTX... With that said, the transition is kinda easy so I'll share the settings I found to be good so far..
Beach1
ground balanced at 2
sensitivity at 23 on the dry and 20 at the water line
noise cancelled
threshold at a soft hum
discrim at 1
volume full blast
speed 6

Some are saying the 800 isn't deep... Mine was hitting button backings at 3 solid scoops down in the wet sand with a 920ix scoop. Thats deep enough for me!

As for the CTX vs NOX question. Im not ready to answer that one. I will tell you that the NOX is 1/2 the weight and it hits pretty loud and confidently. The NOX is 900 bucks. The CTX is 2500 bucks. The CTX is sturdy. The NOX is somewhat dainty. The shaft is going to be an issue I feel, and it'll be quick for vendors to make a CF shaft with better locks and hardware. The numbers are totally different and right now I just have to pretty much dig EVERYTHING until I get an understanding. Ive realized that 1--7 is pretty much junk every time. With that said I air tested thinner gold rings (which are the most common rings lost) and they are 3 to 5.. bracelets are 1-3.. SOOO you can't discrim. GLHH

Ive used mine 2x now. Both at the beach and I come from the CTX... With that said, the transition is kinda easy so I'll share the settings I found to be good so far..
Beach1
ground balanced at 2
sensitivity at 23 on the dry and 20 at the water line
noise cancelled
threshold at a soft hum
discrim at 1
volume full blast

Some are saying the 800 isn't deep... Mine was hitting button backings at 3 solid scoops down in the wet sand with a 920ix scoop. Thats deep enough for me!

What is your recovery speed on? Mine was liking a 4. Way you adjust is find a deep target then keep adjusting til the coil is highest off the ground hitting the target. Tried turning it down to 2 by the water and it didn't like that. 4 was the deepest here in our Fl. sand as of now. Salinity changes and so can settings. No black sand showing anywhere here right now.

The issue with (best beach settings) white sand beaches of Florida vs the black sand beaches of southern California , becomes a big difference in detector settings.

IDK? yet id have to get the 800 to run it but i can say with the vlf garrett 250 15inch nel coil I work fin in the dry sand and parks here huntington beach ca azusa and stuff angeles forrest and around except fro sandiego near the amusement park o the jetti i was going crazy the metal in the dry sand is like 6 inch deep layer goes nuts. i usually run my vlf at jewelry or wide open find a target then turn on discriminate. I am usually working areas that have been hammered by hundreds of others like pier park river amusement park board walk area. its just amazing some detectorists wont even do the dry sand with their PIs' I know there is coins there but they wont do it. to much signal they dont want to dig them out.

I saw your post on "how to use detectors" and you asking if PARK 1 setting masks gold... I then saw a very long winded answer... As you posted, in PARK 1 "its default discrimination pattern set to reject many common aluminum foil like targets..."

The simple response is if it is knocking out low conductors, it is knocking out gold. I cant believe that one response you received...

Rob.... i agree, this machine may need to be set up differently based on the beach. Shes a little more picky.

SS.... where you been hiding out? Who ever that was that said eliminate foil is kind of defeating the purpose of this machine..... unless they feel small golds not worth their time..... which some do. I guess it depends on what you are looking for and the time you have to spend looking.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was at the beach this weekend with my NOX600, and all I can say is WOW!

All I used was Beach 2 with a noise cancellation. No other changes at all. My sensitivity was on about 23 90% of the time with the sound all the way up because I wasn't using my headphones.

I was finding small deep targets with no problem at all. Signals were consistent with VERY little chatter at all. Most of the time it was so silent that I had to detect my scoop to see if it was actually working. It was a fishing beach, so I got a lot of fishing weights that would ring up at about 17-19.

I was very impressed with the 600, and I have no problems selling off my PI detector and replacing it with the NOX

Itsa....... im using 4 as well the sounds dont seem as chopped.

Have to ask Low Tide..... why the +2 GB? I run mine at 0 in the dry sand ..... i want to get as near the salt setting and smaller gold.

We dont have Calf black sand..... but the sea weed will really light up the wet sand. It accumulates black sand and it gets buried fast.... so we certainly hear it falsing.

I Guess setting are different depending on your sand.

In wet sand I run mine in beach 2, then noise cancel, auto ground balance and turn on tracking. Sensitivity 20 and up. Seems to work fine for me

I've been running in beach 2 wet sand and water iron bias zero, recovery speed 1. Dry sand I run in Beach 1 same settings however in the water same settings I seem to be getting a lot of chatter and having a hard time finding targets. Due to Curren and the larger coil I can feel a lot of resistance on the coil. It is very hard to swing the detector at a decent speed and some times it feels like I'm dragging a parachute throw the water. I have not been doing too well in the water.
I will try raising the recovery speed higher when I'm in the water and see how that works. Long Island salt beaches

I don't even know why I'm looking at this thread. :shrug: I don't own a Nox.

R5

Turn the iron volume up.
The rest is default. B1 or B2
Use pinpoint if the target signal *disappears* or crank up the sensitivity until the target is found.
Always noise cancel and keep the coil cover clean.
No auto track unless you hear a hum with every swing.

Turn the iron volume up.
The rest is default. B1 or B2
Use pinpoint if the target signal *disappears* or crank up the sensitivity until the target is found.
Always noise cancel and keep the coil cover clean.
No auto track unless you hear a hum with every swing.
Why turn the iron volume up? What effect will this have?

Back
Top Bottom