just a tiny sample of my field finds so far

castletonking

Here are a few items I've found in my field,which is near the site of the Castleton skirmish as well as the Hubbardton Battle field.The penny next to the 2 largest lead balls I've found is just for size comparison.those are 2 of dozens of lead balls of various sizes that I have.I find so amny it's almost not a thrill to dig them anymore..although I guess it's always exciting to pull history from the ground.Always wondering if it was American or English hands who loaded it,given the extensive revolutionary history this area of Castleton VT. holds and the fact that my land was a campground.

Attachments

• DSCF0198.jpg
    DSCF0198.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 664
any idea on the the items in the middle and right on the bottom row are? and is a gold plated ball button a uniform button? it was found 8 to 10 inches deep in clay and it came out as shiny as you see it.

Nice Finds!

thanks..theres a lot more,but most are buttons,dozens and dozens of lead balls in various sizes,i did pull pull 2 KG's out of the field,a reale,and a 1/2 cent.and this is all out our hay fields.not even fully covered yet.

I too am curious as to what the bottom middle item is.

Nice finds by the way! I would love to hunt an area where one gets tired of digging lead.

Doug

Whom ever loaded those lead balls probably died young for something they believed in. Now so many die young fighting over drugs and being tough.
BH

Bottom right item

The bottom right item might be the opening for a shot pouch or powder pouch. It has the right spring depressing mechanism, and a central opening about right for bird shot. I've found one complete piece, I will try to find it again and post a picture.

Back
Top Bottom