Newbie to detecting! Need tips!

TheAmazingHayes

Hey guys, so I got my F2 yesterday from Kelly co! Great company in my opinion. Fast shipping and threw in a ton of accessories! So onto the point....I went on my first hunt today at a local park. I found nothing but TRASH AND PENNIES! I was wondering how all these guys on YouTube find so many good finds?? So I need some tips on where to hunt, how to find places to hunt, some discriminations for the F2. Basically i need some good and experienced detectorist to help me. I'm going out tomorrow to an old highschool and possibly a state park.

p.s.- I'm mainly interested in silver coins and jewelry. Old tokens and cool relics arent bad either.

Learn the machine, watch videos, take your time, dig everything for now, be patient, don't give up, and most of all have fun! HH:cool:

welcome to the site...........the best advice is to practice, practice and more practice and inbetween all that do some research on your area or ask some older folks where they used ta hang out/swim/fish etc.....also its best ta practice cuttin plugs in your own yard before ya venture out on public areas

just got that unit myself. Seems to be easy to learn, but i've still got a ways to go.

I wouldn't try to compare to these other guys because they have more experience, but also have fantastic hidden spots that produce results. That's why they brought the camera along. Especially though, the beach and water guys have spots that have a much higher volume of worthwhile stuff.

old maps and stuff can lead you to good places to hunt, if you want silver you need to find places that were in use before 1964, and with it's original landscaping intact for the most part.

Today i was invited along with a couple of guys that live close to me, and that was a huge move forward on the learning curve. Maybe look for guys around you to show you the ropes. The guys i went with are from a more State-specific MD forum.

I will recommend a good digging tool, i just broke my 2nd in 2 days, most in the hobby use the Lesche, my new friends introduced me to a much cheaper alternative, a digging tool that home depot sells under the name Ames. got a knife edge on the bottom and one side, and a serrated edge on the other for cutting plugs.

Definitely read through digger's thread there. It's helped me and many others immensely.

Best , shortest worded advice you can get .

Learn the machine, watch videos, take your time, dig everything for now, be patient, don't give up, and most of all have fun! HH:cool:

Right to the point and short. You won't find much better advice except for how to look for a old site. HistoricMapWorks.com , I was tipped off to this when i started the forum by a member in chat. I look at plat maps on it from 1897 for my county. I type in the browser HistoricMapWorks Montcalm County Michigan and look for the link to my county for the oldest plat map I can find and use newer ones to locate the old sites on roads . Old ones don't always have the streets and roads named on them in town and even the newer ones don't have a lot out away from town named on the plat maps.
M6 Mike

if your talking about winn street park i have been hitting it hard for a few times a month found some wheaties no silver junk jewlery and so on get up with me well do some detecting

Good advice so far. Just keep practicing and listening and digging. Obviously being in a good spot helps too. Get yourself a Lesche digger and a pinpointer too, it'll make life easier. Good luck out there! :D

Ditto what everyone else said! RESEARCH and PERSISTENCE is key. You will have many days of nothing. But you can't let that discourage you. And good luck with the "freebie accessories". Now go find something!

Back
Top Bottom