Need help with button ID please.

khouse

Forum Supporter
It's a solid brass button 7/8 inch in diameter. Dug in Missouri. I can only find two piece versions so I hope it's rare? I would also like to know the value as well? I want to write up an info card with this info on it. Thanks for any help.
PS: I'm sick I scratched it! It was on edge and I just missed the PP. From the front you can't see the scratches.

that is a good idea.. hopefully you have a rare variety...

There are a few examples of solid cast Texas buttons with this design.

This is from Tice's button book:

Convex, cast one piece, local manufacturer. Confederates cast these in crude molds probably using a similar device of Scovill's TX234. The closest example in the book is TX260A1, pictured on page 471.

I like it and I'm pretty sure its authentic. I don't think it's brass. Maybe solid cast lead or pewter, sometimes referred to as white metal. I've seen a few dug solid cast confederate buttons, and none of them have had backmarks. I dug a solid cast pewter/lead SC last year and the patina on yours matches mine perfectly, and no backmark on mine either.

Well most (if not all) union buttons are gold gilted.

This is a Confederate button. And only a select few of teh Union army's buttons were gold.

In the union army only officers had gold buttons. It was a sign of rank. Mike O'Donnel told me this. So if he has something to say I'll take it as gospel. HH TIM

Yep, Digger got it. Only the officers had gilted buttons. The majority of Union buttons were just plain brass.

I'm sure it's brass because the metal is yellow where I scratched it.

Oh ok, then it's solid brass.

In the union army only officers had gold buttons. It was a sign of rank. Mike O'Donnel told me this. So if he has something to say I'll take it as gospel. HH TIM

Really? Officers only? Hey could you take a look at the button I found (in my album) and tell me if you think it was an officers. I found it at my house which was the site of a Second Seminole War camp or stockade.
Thx
Donney

This is a Confederate button. And only a select few of teh Union army's buttons were gold.

Yep, Digger got it. Only the officers had gilted buttons. The majority of Union buttons were just plain brass.

Oh ok, then it's solid brass.

Right! I should have known it'd have been confederate!

Is it that unusual to have found it in Missouri? I need to find a collector that knows Texas Buttons to see exactly what I have? Any suggestions?? I can not find these buttons in solid brass.....?????

We can find Texas buttons all the way here in VA. So to find one in MO is pretty legit. Google "Relicman Harry Ridgeway". He knows buttons. Even if he can't positively Id it, he can refer someone for you. Just sent him a pic of the front and back. With the dimensions. He will tell you what you want to know.

Back
Top Bottom