not sure what i have here

BillyB

I have been doing some research and found maps of what i think is an old homestead. So I went out to the area where I thought it was on the maps. Its just woods now. I poked around for a few hours kinda confused on what this area was. I was getting frustrated because of my lack of finds and ticks. My wife stopped counting at 15 ticks but there was many more. so today i looked at my finds and realized I might be in the right area. The headstamps seem to all be between 1920 and 1960ish. The old iron objects seem to be old but I have no clue what they are. The bottles (i have more that i will clean for pics) all have small bubbles in the glass and appear to be old. Im having a hard time getting an exact date on the Seipps bottle but possible early 1900s.
Let me know what you guys think. all finds were at about 4 inch to 6 inch mark newer shells were at 1-2 inches (not in pics). I might have to napalm the ticks but i have a rough idea where i might find coins now after reviewing the topographical maps. would you hit this spot again? Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• seipps.jpg
    seipps.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 424
  • seipps long.jpg
    seipps long.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 417
  • seipps bottom.jpg
    seipps bottom.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 437
  • irons.jpg
    irons.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 435
  • irons1.jpg
    irons1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 433
  • handles.jpg
    handles.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 424
  • buckle.jpg
    buckle.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 397
  • buckle1.jpg
    buckle1.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 398
  • headstamp.jpg
    headstamp.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 399
  • sears headstamp.jpg
    sears headstamp.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 400
  • headstamps 2.jpg
    headstamps 2.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 399
Let's get down to brass tacks. What type of hunter are you? Satisfied with any metal item? See...I could give you advice about how I find old coins, but it would come back and slap me like the "old coin snob" that I am, so I won't. But I wouldn't start there unless I had NO other option to try to find what I was after.

I love finding coins but have never found anything old. I think my oldest is an early merc i found at a beach. I like headstamps but its not my goal. I would like to be finding early 1900s coins at this site. The area were i was hunting had some posts and cattle wire that look like animal pens. All the iron and bottles came about 30 yards awayin what looks like a garbage dump area. Due to the age of this stuff i was hoping to find a house site. Im looking for jewlery and coins mainly.

nice finds. old homesteads are fun to hunt. you just never know what you are going to find. my earliest coins came from a homestead that had a big yard, and a lot of outbuildings, but I found all the coins in one little 30 X 30 area between the house and the well. Keep gridding it out and suddenly you'll find the motherlode. ( or nothing but the stuff you're finding) But that's the fun of it.

nice finds. old homesteads are fun to hunt. you just never know what you are going to find. my earliest coins came from a homestead that had a big yard, and a lot of outbuildings, but I found all the coins in one little 30 X 30 area between the house and the well. Keep gridding it out and suddenly you'll find the motherlode. ( or nothing but the stuff you're finding) But that's the fun of it.

I agree, they can be fun due to the variety of crazy stuff you might find! Due to the volume of metal items in the ground that are likely there, gridding from many angles might help to pick some stuff out, and this is where Ferrous Coin will help you find Conductive stuff next to iron items. DD coils, from my usage,are sensitive to attack angle, so hit the areas of interest from different ways. My second oldest coin(1846 LC) came from an old farm. But it'll take some time to even see if the coins are there. Old parks and schools? The coins ARE there, it's a given. Finding them takes some work there also,but the probability that they are there in the volume that you want is much higher.
Old farms are fun though, you find weird stuff you never knew existed!:grin:

You're in New york?

You will do fine in time. Plenty of old coins coming your way!

Maybe try some large yards with less ticks :p

Being in New York, you should easily be able to beat a merc. Spanish silver is not uncommon up here, so much colonial history vs. the rest of the country. My advice, your on the right track, it looks as though you ran into an area the family may have hunted for food. Keep at it! I'm sure that hunting spot wasn't too far from home! I have always had the best luck around the foundation and wells, but the items can be spread around as well. Good luck out there! Remember if your not the first to metal detect there, you may have to get creative (swinging close to bushes and trees, where others may have missed) and use the smallest coil you own. Hope this helps somewhat lol happy hunting Billy!

Back
Top Bottom