Newbie needs help with ID/dates

menotume

Hello everyone! Last week I was detecting a house built in 1787 (still occupied), and found a few items that I need help with. Attached are pictures of 4 buckles and a small button which I would like to get an idea of dates on.

Also found were a .50" musketball (my first), a USMC coat button, harmonica reed plates, a small copper (or brass) ring, parts of a pewter(I think) spoon, and 2 porcelin mason jar inserts. I was denied any coins besides a 1950 wheatie, but am hoping that approx dates on the pictured items may steer me to the right places on the 20-acre property!

Attachments

• buckles-front-sizes.jpg
    buckles-front-sizes.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 224
  • buckles-back.jpg
    buckles-back.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 222
  • buttonFront.jpg
    buttonFront.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 222
  • buttonBack.jpg
    buttonBack.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 227
I'm not very good at ages of buckles. But the flat button you have is made from around 1790s to the 1830s. Finding the button would make me want to give the site a good going over. Good luck.

The two buckles on the left are older than the two on the right - bottom left is older and most likely mid-to late 1700's. Top left probably early 1800's. Top right, mid to late 1800's. The Tombac is probably 1770-1800, in that range, just right for the house... I would definitely keep hunting there if you can! Any place giving up tombacs is eventually going to produce a colonial coin. Good luck!

The two buckles on the left are older than the two on the right - bottom left is older and most likely mid-to late 1700's. Top left probably early 1800's. Top right, mid to late 1800's. The Tombac is probably 1770-1800, in that range, just right for the house... I would definitely keep hunting there if you can! Any place giving up tombacs is eventually going to produce a colonial coin. Good luck!

Thank you very much!

Back
Top Bottom