round-ness in the hole !!!!

bobac

Elite Member
Alas, its not a coin..........
I'll have to be more specific next time I'm walking through the woods chanting 1800s silver 1800s silver..1800s silver.........

But, I guess it is a pretty cool piece anyway.....

I finally was able to get out of work at a half decent hour, and the old lady had an appointment to get a complex hair color job......so....
I headed to some nearby mid1800s foundations for a quick hunt....

The bigger / more obvious foundation I was looking forward to had numerous dig holes and clearly been cleaned out..no coins what so ever.....
...I did find another foundation near by which also yielded no coins......I headed to the edge of the road to have a look.....littered with beer cans....I figured if I do get a good high tone its gonna be trash.....
one of my first good tones was a 5 inch 1-46 ......I'm thinking yeah ok, whatever.......I raised the coil, waved it over the target , no sound....scanned it a few more times , 1-45, 1-46......but I was still figuring it'd be a can or something......with the camera in my back pocket I dug it up and was shocked to see a round silver disk.....HMMMMMMMM ???!!!! I shakily picked it out of the dirt and noticed it was way way too heavy to be a coin.....rubbed it and saw hand carved decoration and figured it out......
Now if I can figure out the exact date on it.......
I can't find any info on the maker.....I see there is a number stamped on the inside of the outer cover as well as a more hand-carved looking number (the same number) on the inner second silver door....If I had to guess, I'd say there may have been a photograph inside second cover....not much of it left now......
Anyway if anyone can help me with the origins of this thing let me know...
For now I'm just gonna tell myself its an 1887.....not really sure how to decipher the number on it.....

Attachments

• IMGP4907 LOW.jpg
    IMGP4907 LOW.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 543
  • IMGP4915 LOOOOOWWWWWWW.jpg
    IMGP4915 LOOOOOWWWWWWW.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 511
  • IMGP4912 LOOOOOOWWWWWW.jpg
    IMGP4912 LOOOOOOWWWWWW.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 514
  • IMGP4913 LOOOOOOOWWWWWW.jpg
    IMGP4913 LOOOOOOOWWWWWW.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 514
Wooooow! That is awesome. All the pocket watches I have found are junkers.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Wow!!!! Great pocket watch!!!' Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats not only nearly complete but it appears to look like what I would presume to be a high end watch, very nice!

That's a super cool find my friend. I hope to find something like it one day. I hope someone can ID the makers mark for you.

Back
Top Bottom