SEPA Noob

Ace400

Hi! My name is Jamey, and I am addicted to hobbies.

I figured this was a better place for a first post than the usual howdy section because ultimately, I came here to see if there were other detectorists in my area that wouldn't mind going out hunting with a rookie once in a while...?

So... The intro:
I guess my story really begins with watching The Detectorists on Amazon Prime last winter. What can I say, I like quirky Brittish tv. After a lifetime of being a fascinated outsider, I finally got my chance to try out the hobby when I sortof borrowed a Bounty Hunter Jr. at a festival I lived/worked at this summer (a friend borrowed it and proceeded to leave it out in the rain, I picked it up before it got wrecked, he keeps forgetting to take it with him when he sees it). I never even turned it on. But I guess it still had some weird magnetic powers that it was using to influence my thoughts... And then series 2 of The Detectorists happened. After that I started watching YouTubes and that turned into researching detectors (I love a good research!). I probably don't have to tell you which one I picked in the end ;)

Of course, as soon as I ordered my Ace400, I finally fired up the Bounty Hunter Jr. and went out and dug up my back yard! Found some iron and some change and some other junk, WOW that was fun! The next day when the 400 came I went back over the same spots that I had cleared out the day before and it did indeed find more targets than the BH Jr. Huzzah!

Since I'm mostly one of those, "Stickler for the rules" kinda people, while researching the how-to's and the do's and don't's, I went ahead and got myself a permission slip to detect at Fort Washington State Park. The second time I was there the gun ranger stopped by to ask me if I had a permit. After my first few hour trip to the park, I realized the necessity of a pointer. It sucks digging the plug and coming up empty handed. Enter the Garrett Carrot.

Now it's just a matter of putting in the hours, learning the machine, and enjoying the heck out of every minute of it. But of course, as soon as I get my basic detecting tools squared away, we're in the middle of a little arctic blast and the ground has frozen solid (It's 14° out as I type this, high of 27° today). Not to mention everything around here being made of rocks. Still not going to stop me from heading to Ft. Washington again today, just gotta layer up.

One starter question... In a place like FWSP, what discrimination/sensitivity settings would you use? Or, what would you notch out on your machine? The first 4 or 5 times I used the Ace, I went with zero desc and 1 off max sensitivity, yesterday I started working with it in jewelry mode to try to quiet some of the constant noise. Went from digging a lot of pull tabs to digging a lot of bottle caps, but did find my first quarter. Oh, and I've turned the sensitivity down some too, I'd rather only be digging shallow holes at this point.

Last edited:
Also a Noob

Hi, I am not too far from Ambler. I am in Warrington, PA.

Once the weather warms up, if you would like to get together, shoot me an email.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom