silver haul

Steve

Forum Supporter
Had some free time to clean up some old silver. 1 is probably my nicest silver ring so far. 990 with a bunch of, probably fake, stones. Looks good though and worth some bucks new in the store. Not a brand name
The 1 ring with the green stone had me pumped when I saw it. But wasn't to be. Have about 3 more Lord of the Rings I have to clean up... have a dozen or so bs ones, and a few silver.
Bangles are all 999.
Total weight a little over 1/2lb
Probably end up selling in the classifieds soon to finance a new coil:D

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 690
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 664
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 743
I have had decent success selling silver rings on Ebay. Good luck!

How do you clean these rings?

for really blackened ones... electrolysis, silver polish, 2000 grade sandpaper, followed by silver polish again. Takes about 5 minutes a ring. Some are too pitted to be cleaned well. Sandpaper glued to a drill bit, make sure ring is wet

Nice clean up job on the silver Steve. I ordered some polishing shot to tumble my silver with. Going to see if that speeds things up.

Nice clean up job on the silver Steve. I ordered some polishing shot to tumble my silver with. Going to see if that speeds things up.

I saw a video where someone used what (I think) is called Jewelers Mix to put in their tumbler. It is a mixture of shot with small irregular pieces of steel as well. Seemed to do a really good job of getting into the small crevices.

I don't have a tumbler (yet) but it seems like a good solution to try.

I tried the tumbler before. Destroyed about 30 rings. I just zap it for a minute. Polish for a minute, sandpaper if necessary and polish again.
only thing I put in a tumbler now are toasted coins for the subway machine

I saw a video where someone used what (I think) is called Jewelers Mix to put in their tumbler. It is a mixture of shot with small irregular pieces of steel as well. Seemed to do a really good job of getting into the small crevices.

I don't have a tumbler (yet) but it seems like a good solution to try.

Yeah that's the stuff TW

I tried the tumbler before. Destroyed about 30 rings. I just zap it for a minute. Polish for a minute, sandpaper if necessary and polish again.
only thing I put in a tumbler now are toasted coins for the subway machine

I tumble most of my crusty silver with nickel coins and a couple of stainless steel pot scrubbers with a spoon or two of citric acid. In for a couple of hours no problem. The silver even makes the coins look better.

The real good brand silver with only light tarnish and a lot of detail. I'll drop them on boiling water with salt and tinfoil before polishing. Used to zap my silver but can't stand the fumes.

cheap stuff Idont bother... I might give the tinfoil a try soon.

Chucking it in the tumbler is the best way to sort out the real silver from the junk stuff. Clean silver laying around, happy wife :lol:

Going to start making ingots of 925 out of the cheap or broken stuff this winter. May even make something out of it. Some nice moulds out there now.

Last edited:
Chucking it in the tumbler is the best way to sort out the real silver from the junk stuff. Clean silver laying around, happy wife :lol:

Going to start making ingots of 925 out of the cheap or broken stuff this winter. May even make something out of it. Some nice mounds out there now.

I tried 999 gold bars last summer . it's much harder than it sounds. They ended up looking like loaves of bread

Back
Top Bottom