Schenkl shell, box plate, bullets, hotchkiss shell, What a day!!!

VaMark

Elite Member
I don't know where to start. I had a day that just kept getting awesome finds, unbelievable finds. I had dug a bunch of bullets for starters this morning, then my buddy called, as I was starting to dig the US box plate,
said he was ready to meet me and dig for the afternoon. I pick him up and showed him the box plate and he was amazed.We got back to the field and I continued digging bullets, then I got a decent hit and thought it was going to be another bullet, after I opened the hole I lost the signal, which happens often in this field, so I dug some more and got a mid to high tone and started picking it up with the pro pointer. I continued to dig down about 18" then I hit it and started working around it, I could start to see it taking shape in the hole, WOW it's a shell :shock: I got it out and sat back in awe for a while, :D then I figured out it was a schenkl shell. I went on digging bullets then found a Burnside with some of the brass still attached, a gun hammer, a piece of a rear gun sight. Then I got another good big iron signal, and started digging and pulled out several big frags, rechecked hole still more, and this went on for 15 minutes. I ended up getting almost the entire Hotchkiss shell with fuse and base out of that hole along with a 3 ringer. I was done for the day, started at 10:30 and ended at 7:15, what an awesome day!

Thanks for looking!
HH

Attachments

• 9-29-12boxplate.jpg
    9-29-12boxplate.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 752
  • 9-29-12shenkleshell.jpg
    9-29-12shenkleshell.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 751
  • 9-29-12shellfrom1hole.jpg
    9-29-12shellfrom1hole.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 759
  • 9-29-12hammer&sight.jpg
    9-29-12hammer&sight.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 751
  • 9-29-12burnside.jpg
    9-29-12burnside.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 754
  • 9-29-123ringers.jpg
    9-29-123ringers.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 748
  • 9-29-12misc bullets.jpg
    9-29-12misc bullets.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 739
  • 9-29-12gardners.jpg
    9-29-12gardners.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 753
  • 9-29-12hammer.jpg
    9-29-12hammer.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 743
  • 9-29-12fragmisc.jpg
    9-29-12fragmisc.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 744
Awesome is right!!!! Man that is a long day of hunting but looks like it paid off good. Congrats on some fine relics.

Nice finds. I was glad you said some of your targets were 18" deep. I was hunting a battlefield site and was getting some really deep signals. The only problem was with the recent rains the deep holes filled up water. I won't get discouraged now when I think I am digging to china.

I officially hate you. LOL.

No seriously though, that's the kind of thing we dream about, and you got to live the dream. Huge congrats!

Wow Marky-Mark! What a day! You should try to crazy glue the Hotchkiss back together, haha.....rainy day project. Great job dude. Congrats on all those firsts.

Well done VaMark,.............you had an outstanding day recovering those great relics,.....man am i ever jealous:wow2::wow2:

Great selection of finds, there! My relics are usually rounds and shell fragments. I'd love to find an entire shell!

Congrat's on some great digs!

Back
Top Bottom