Rude responses

clearwatermike

Elite Member
Has anyone besides me gotten an unusually rude response to a request to detect private property when a simple "no" would have sufficed? I sent a very courteous letter to the out-of-town owner of an older house that's on the market...it incorporated all the benchmarks of a typical request to detect. I received a phone message asking who I thought I was, don't ever set foot on that property, etc. I don't know if I should sent a note assuring them their wishes will be respected, or just not engage this person any further?

I'd just let it go and move on. It can be frustrating with responses like that, but the person may have had problems in the past with trespassers, etc. messing with his property. Hopefully there are other properties in your area that you can get permission for. good luck! Curt

Let it ride, man. Don't let another person's dbaggery get under your skin.

Imagine what a miserable person he is. Case closed.

It is probably better to ask in person, but maybe not in that case, lol. JK. You could probably convey your intentions better.

You do it for fun. You average a buck an hour in finds. Even a great day would mean only a few silver coins totaling $20 in value, mostly dimes, clad and wheats. He probably thought your intentions were to find a million dollars. Maybe there is a treasure legend on the property!

You can just wait and ask the new owner.

Has anyone besides me gotten an unusually rude response to a request to detect private property when a simple "no" would have sufficed? I sent a very courteous letter to the out-of-town owner of an older house that's on the market...it incorporated all the benchmarks of a typical request to detect. I received a phone message asking who I thought I was, don't ever set foot on that property, etc. I don't know if I should sent a note assuring them their wishes will be respected, or just not engage this person any further?

Super props for trying to get permission. Think of what would have happened if they had visited the property while your were metal detecting, err, trespassing. You did the right thing all the way around. An ounce of prevention, is better than a pound of cure.

Good karma is sure to be around the corner,

Brian

We each forget that some people might be having a much worse time in life than we are. You are much better off not having to deal with this person.

Yeah, let it go and move on brother.
You tried your best, that's all you can do. Don't let this person bring you down. Good luck in the future!

I myself would send a note back saying something on the order of

Thank you for reply to your letter. I will respect your wishes as property owner. God bless

Kill em with kindness

Exactly. They might be stressed out now wondering if people are going to mess with their property. It would be nice send a follow up specifying that you will not be entering their property for any reason, and did not intend to without permission.

I myself would send a note back saying something on the order of

Thank you for reply to your letter. I will respect your wishes as property owner. God bless

Kill em with kindness

I have gotten calls back, wanting to know what exactly i wanted to do. (this case pick up the 37 bags of cans someone dumpped on there place)

We each forget that some people might be having a much worse time in life than we are. You are much better off not having to deal with this person.

So true.

Think about the worst day you had in your life. Imagine if someone had asked for detecting permission that day.

I'd write him a note to the guy every week for the next two years asking for permission to hunt. Act as if you never got any response for each letter you sent.

Or

I would write him a note in several weeks stating you just felt that you had to hunt his property with or with out permission and tell him you found some nice coins but also happened to find several bones near the back of the property. Upon further detecting you also accidentally dug up a human shaped skull and you are not sure what to do with it or to just call the police and get them involved.:lol:

Sometimes I just feel like screwing with rude people.:grin:

I have no luck asking for permission. I was 0 and 5 last year. I think some people are intimidated by the looks of a detector and back off in confussion and maybe even fear. We live in a very touchy society given the recent past and current events and this causes some people, maybe lots of people, to be suspecious of eveyone and everything.
I went to a business whcih is housed in a very old school house from the late 1800's. It is a two man operation. They sell properties. I approached an older gentleman, the owner. He was very talkative and impressed by how much I knew about his historic building and the surrounding area (I did my research). He even gave me a tour of the place. It definitely had that look and feel of an old 4 room school house with old pics on the walls even some really old tiny student chairs here and there. But the moment I told him why I was there his whole attitude changed, he clammed up, and that was the end of the conversation and tour. He politely excused me and I said my thank yous and promply went on my way. Now I know what it must be like to sell vaccuum cleaners door to door. I rarely these days ask for permission to hunt private lands. I just don't like that feeling of rejection. Sort of the feeling you got the very first time you asked a girl for a date back in your high school and you get rejected with a dripping attitude. It wasn't that big a deal, hell, within tenl minutes I was able to sit up partially straight, recognize faces, utter almost complete sentences and eventually began taking nourishment. :no::no::no:
PS Rodney Dangerfield said he always wondered why his eyes burned everytime he ask a pretty classmate out for a date, he finally realized.....it was the mace. I get no respect.

I'd write him a note to the guy every week for the next two years asking for permission to hunt. Act as if you never got any response for each letter you sent.

Or

I would write him a note in several weeks stating you just felt that you had to hunt his property with or with out permission and tell him you found some nice coins but also happened to find several bones near the back of the property. Upon further detecting you also accidentally dug up a human shaped skull and you are not sure what to do with it or to just call the police and get them involved.:lol:

Sometimes I just feel like screwing with rude people.:grin:

Skrap, why do I get the feeling that wouldn't go over very well for me?:lol:

permission

I have to be honest......if I owned property and someone bothered me to ask permission to metal detect on my property I'd probably be annoyed with them. Even before I got into the hobby myself. I equate that with call centers calling me on the phone, or people knocking on my door to sell me something.

I've never gone out to get permission yet but have gotten a little through word of mouth. I plan to keep getting it that way, rather than cold calling/knocking on doors.

Send him a note thanking him for taking the time to respond to your request and ensuring that yo will honor his wishes. Who knows, maybe the next time someone asks, they'll remember the politness and respect shown and they may change their mind.

I asked a guy that runs a contracting company out of an old school building, rather than just saying no he began to tell me why he was saying no. So I thanked him for his time and left. I have had people ask to deer hunt on my land, which I didn't have a problem with, but one day I was watching tv and a four wheeler pass the window, so I went out and this person who I had never seen before said he had shot a deer and was looking for it. So I asked if it ever crossed his mind to talk to the land owner before driving a four wheeler across his front yard? He said he was sorry and I told Him to keep looking but please ask first next time. I think people should respect the land owner enough to ask, and at the same time no matter if the answer is yes or no I think the land owner should thank the people for having enough respect to ask.

I have to be honest......if I owned property and someone bothered me to ask permission to metal detect on my property I'd probably be annoyed with them. Even before I got into the hobby myself. I equate that with call centers calling me on the phone, or people knocking on my door to sell me something.

I've never gone out to get permission yet but have gotten a little through word of mouth. I plan to keep getting it that way, rather than cold calling/knocking on doors.

I understand what you are talking about. Worst part of metal detecting is getting up the nerve to knock on a door. Every "no" I've got was cordial, though.
I have met some really great people...even new friends...from knocking on doors. PLUS...if someone knocks on my door, I now realize I have to be careful not to be a hypocrite. Nobody really owns property, though. We just rent it for the short time we are the Earth.
Or until we stop paying property taxes. ;)

Back
Top Bottom