KY MDer inaction killing Kentucky HB 352

pocketspill

Elite Member
banned.jpg

I've got bad news for metal detector hobbyists in KY.

Things are not looking good for House passage of HB 352. The Reason?

The Kentucky Metal Detecting community here seems to think that "someone else" will handle the right-to-detect issues for them.

I've heard from insiders that the vote for HB 352 in the Kentucky House is going to happen this week. I've also heard that the metal detecting community (especialy KY voters) have NOT been calling, writing or petitioning. And the opposition to this bill is well-organized and actually physically in Frankfort this week lobbying.

Then right now is the time for you to take a few minutes to help our hobby. You might need to bug a Kentucky friend for this.

a) Encourage KY friends and family (not just other metal detector folks) to make the call or send an email.
b) Use my tools page to help you get started.
c) If you can go to Frankfort, I need you to contact Eddie Black

If you need more info and can help in any way, please call Eddie at 1-502-448-7665, or 1-502-938-0197(cell phone).

To others...soon you'll stop hearing about this from me. I apologize for the noise.

By all means keep talking about it. Once these sorts of things get established in one state they have a habit of spreading like a cold to the others. I know my state just can’t stand when another state has more restrictive laws than we do and will jump on the bandwagon as fast as they can if this is defeated. If there’s something we out of state folks can do to help let me know.

Good luck.

The detecting rights website is very confusing. If anyone knows the admin, you may want to get it cleaned up and easier to send a form letter for the general public. Just a thought, if you want the whole communities assistance.

Anyhow, I am not from your state, but this is what I sent.

Dear Representatives,

I am a member of the Responsible Metal Detecting Community and I am sending this email in support of the metal detector hobbyists of the great State of Kentucky. I am a citizen of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania where nearly all of our State Parks and County Parks are open to metal detecting. Most of the parks require permits and limit the ways in which you can retrieve items such that destruction of public lands are avoided. Also, there are rules on what may be kept and what must be turned in to a Park Ranger. These rules are in place so as to protect the parks, any historical finds and valuable personal property. These rules allow the parks to be utilized by every citizen of the state.

It is my personal belief that HB 352 would be a positive step for the State of Kentucky, allowing all citizens to enjoy their public parks. We do not consider metal detecting to be a negative activity for the profit hungry "looters" as the archealogical community would lead you to believe. For my family, it is the top activity outdoors. Too many children today spend all their time in front of a television set instead of being outdoors enjoying our natural and public resources.
I would like to voice my support on behalf of the citizens of Kentucky and HB 352, (SB 105 (BR 1240) an Act introduced by D. Seum and P. Hornback in the Senate).

As a hobbyist community, We implore that you, the representatives of the citizens of the State of Kentucky, protect our rights to enjoy the legal and healthful pastime of Recreational and Responsible Metal Detecting, and would like to counter some of the myths you may have heard from the opposition.

There are special interest groups that will have you believe that we are destroying history for our own profit, removing them from the collective history of the Commonwealth. But they do not tell you the side effects of their policy.

Existing laws are condemning the hand-crafted, metallic artifacts of the Commonwealth of Kentucky to the ravages of time.

Metallic artifacts are transient, that is, they degrade rather quickly when exposed to the soil or weather. Iron, Brass, Bronze and Copper artifacts have a very limited lifetime and are soon reclaimed by nature, damaged or covered by development or erosion, or simply thrown away with trash or topsoil.

Metal detectorists are excellent stewards of public lands. We leave land in better condition than before we arrived, removing trash, filling holes, and reporting illegal activity to authorities.

It's true...Archaeological / Preservation interests are able excavate and preserve a small percentage, but the vast majority will be lost. We consider this "looting by legislation" and is an unacceptable way to treat these items. The items are gone, as is their historical context.

We support the rigorous study of the Commonwealth of Kentucky by qualified educational institutions and will often provide our voluntary services to assist them if our skills are helpful.

Metallic artifacts were crafted by the hands of our ancestors. They reflect the sensibilities, limited resources and aesthetics shared among those who were part of Kentucky's history. Their construction reflects the ingenuity and time required to take limited resources and improve their lives, feed their family or even fight for their beliefs.

Historical context is important to us, too.

With assistance and education from archaeologists, we are willing to share in the cataloging of important artifacts found on public lands. Together we can contribute to the data set which describes our history.

Many of our finds end up in historic / educational institutions where the public can enjoy them

Sharing and donating our finds is common in our hobby. Museums and historical foundations are filled with educational assets provided by amateur detectorists. In the United Kingdom, metal detectorists are credited with saving the history of that ancient land.

Don't believe the myths. We are not looters out for profit.

If you would like more information about Metal Detecting, you can go to the web site of the national non profit foundation that supports our hobby. there you can review our "Code of Ethics" for Metal Detectorists, and other informative material:
http://detectingrights.com/

Please support the members of your constituancy, and citizens throughout the great state of Kentucky.

Thank you,

A vast majority of that letter is from detectingrights.com . Took ne a while to find it, but I did and I made small changes to represent out of staters. Other than that, you can find the letter and all the representatives emails at the referenced website.

Kentucky, if you have never gotten involved in something like this in person then you might not know how amazing it feels to be a part of the process. It won't be long before it is clear how big of a difference one person can make. Try it at least once! Nothing says that you have a problem with what they are doing like showing up in person!

There is no need to apologize at all everyone needs to wake up and smell the bans! They are killing a way of life, one that I plan to keep. I hope others feel the same way.

Thanks for your support.

As you guys know, the representatives want to:

a) hear from their own constituents
b) hear from multiple districts.

So... look through your facebook, twitter, address book, etc. and see who you know in KY who might be willing to send the note from their voting district.

You guys rock

HH

I will make a MILLION phone call and email tomorrow!!

banned.jpg

i've got bad news for metal detector hobbyists in ky.

Things are not looking good for house passage of hb 352. the reason?

the kentucky metal detecting community here seems to think that "someone else" will handle the right-to-detect issues for them.

i've heard from insiders that the vote for hb 352 in the kentucky house is going to happen this week. I've also heard that the metal detecting community (especialy ky voters) have not been calling, writing or petitioning. And the opposition to this bill is well-organized and actually physically in frankfort this week lobbying.

Then right now is the time for you to take a few minutes to help our hobby. You might need to bug a kentucky friend for this.

A) encourage ky friends and family (not just other metal detector folks) to make the call or send an email.
B) use my tools page to help you get started.
C) if you can go to frankfort, i need you to contact eddie black

if you need more info and can help in any way, please call eddie at 1-502-448-7665, or 1-502-938-0197(cell phone).

To others...soon you'll stop hearing about this from me. I apologize for the noise.

i will crush them with verbs and nouns!!!!!
Consider it done!!

Fyi...several of your representatives responded to my email even though I'm not from thei state. One is actually originally from my state. His wife is from Gettysburg. He promised me he would "take a look see" and see what he could do. Another responded that he has several friends that detect and he asked for my phone number and address.

I'm not from your state, and I got a response. Imagine the difference it could make if these folks hear from those that live in their own state!

You guys are awesome.

Please take the extra step of picking 1-2 people you know and asking them to step in. Buy them a beer or something.

From the rivers to the mountains, every district in KY needs to have someone making noise.

Was just interviewed by a KY newspaper on this issue. Represented the responsible detector community and knocked down some of the myths ... the reporter asked me "So, what about these accusations that metal detector people will be digging up graves"

That was where his head was before we talked.

KY HB352 Is dead - no metal detecting in state parks

THIS IS THE LAST CHANCE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE FOLKS

House Bill 352 will be heard in tomorrow at 10 am in the Tourism, Development and Energy Committee (not on the House floor yet). Senate bill 105 was passed on the Senate floor a few weeks ago. As you may recall, this bill permits metal detecting at state parks.

Please call and/or email your House representatives ASAP and let them know you support this bill. Don't waste time contacting your Senator. Also, if possible, please make an effort to attend tomorrow's committee meeting in Room 131 in the Capitol Annex at 10 am. If this passes committee, the full house will hear the bill, making it more likely to become law.

HELP US!!!!

Sb 105

I had talked to my friend and Representative Rocky Adkins who gave me hope that he would try to help. Rocky is not on the committee but said he would talk for us. I called the bill status line at 3:30 PM and they had no report from committee yet.

Back
Top Bottom