First real hunt with my "new to me" detector

ffgrizzley

Forum Supporter
Well, Cellrdwellr was nice enough to take me out tonight for a short hunt in a field so I got to try out my ATP and 5x8 that I got from FFX2. Was nice to try it real world and not just in the yard and on the coin garden I'd made. Lot of can slaw and iron. Found one clad quarter and what Jeff identified as the front of a flat button, so YEA!, found something cool. It had been bent, probably by a plow, but since it was only 1/2 I tweeked it a little to lay flat. So, thanks Jeff, we need to hit the stage coach stop soon, brush is growing. Thanks to FFX2 for the great deal on the ATP, 2 extra coils and Grey Ghost headphones. Sorry the pic isn't great. Need a new camera, but I REALLY want a M@RS shaft. :D

Attachments

• SANY1071.jpg
    SANY1071.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 293
I just got an AT myself...good deals out there now! I've got about 3 hours on mine and need to log a LOT more to really know it's language. But I've done enough to know those cans sounded pretty exciting on the headphones!

I think the AT will work well for me. It talks ALOT but so does my wife. After 15 years I've learned to listen to her subtle ques, hoping I'll get this machine figured out in less time. But metal detectors are (even the complicated ones) a lot simpler than women.

Looks like you found one example of everything I was planning to get the 5X8 to work around:laughing: I'm still at the dig it all stage as well.

Happy hunting!

Yea Marshall that flat button is a colonial dandy button missing the shank! Pretty good for your first real world target with the at pro! That's minimum 1800's, possibly 1700's... felt good to get in some colonial ground again, can't wait til they plough that field again. Next time we hunt I will show you a trick to eliminate most beer cans. Congrats on the new machine and your off to a great start with it!

Thanks guys! It sure is fun and ya, those cans scream. But after a while I figured out that really long wide screams are probably flattened cans. I only put a few there for the pic. You're right about him finding great stuff GroundSweeper and I'm lucky to have hooked up with him. He did find something nice that I'm sure he'll post up later.

I was so excited to post up my first real finds that I forgot the other half of the story. He had to leave but I stayed for a while. I was scanning back down the cart track towards the jeep when a car pulls in that says Lieutenant Fire Dept. of the town we were in. I'm thinking, oh great what did you get me into Jeff? He walks over and asks if I'd seen any other people in the field and I said no, just a friend who had to leave and myself. He asked if I'd found anything good, and I just held up the beer can and he laughed and headed down across the field to a bunch of people standing in a parking lot at some housing place. I'm thinking, oh oh. So I slowly make my way towards the jeep but he's headed back up in a few so I walked back to find out what's up. He tells me that they called because they saw an old man walking unsteadily in the field and he kept falling down below the grass and then getting up and continuing up the cart road. He explained what I was doing and all is well. Kind of embarrassing but funny. Wait till I get a hold of Jeff the next time we meet. ;)

they saw an old man walking unsteadily in the field and he kept falling down below the grass and then getting up[/QUOTE said:
So that's what we look like! Maybe we'd better wear medic-alert bracelets made of crusty zincolns and pulltabs.

Thanks guys! It sure is fun and ya, those cans scream. But after a while I figured out that really long wide screams are probably flattened cans. I only put a few there for the pic. You're right about him finding great stuff GroundSweeper and I'm lucky to have hooked up with him. He did find something nice that I'm sure he'll post up later.

I was so excited to post up my first real finds that I forgot the other half of the story. He had to leave but I stayed for a while. I was scanning back down the cart track towards the jeep when a car pulls in that says Lieutenant Fire Dept. of the town we were in. I'm thinking, oh great what did you get me into Jeff? He walks over and asks if I'd seen any other people in the field and I said no, just a friend who had to leave and myself. He asked if I'd found anything good, and I just held up the beer can and he laughed and headed down across the field to a bunch of people standing in a parking lot at some housing place. I'm thinking, oh oh. So I slowly make my way towards the jeep but he's headed back up in a few so I walked back to find out what's up. He tells me that they called because they saw an old man walking unsteadily in the field and he kept falling down below the grass and then getting up and continuing up the cart road. He explained what I was doing and all is well. Kind of embarrassing but funny. Wait till I get a hold of Jeff the next time we meet. ;)
:laughing: that's retirement housing, next time we can go deeper in the field so we are out of site. I saw a couple older women pointing our way as I was leaving. Never had an issue at that field, and I do believe it's public land, owned by the school next door. We will get it next time Marshall until then happy hunting bud!

FF, glad to see that you are out with the new machine.

The good finds come in more frequently once you've got some time on that Pro.

There are quite a few AT Pro users from our general area. It's the best mid-price machine going. Took mine swimming a few times.

I've been getting some hunts in with Chuck Seggelin. He visits here and post on FaceBook.

FF, glad to see that you are out with the new machine.

The good finds come in more frequently once you've got some time on that Pro.

There are quite a few AT Pro users from our general area. It's the best mid-price machine going. Took mine swimming a few times.

I've been getting some hunts in with Chuck Seggelin. He visits here and post on FaceBook.

Haven't met Chuck, only Jeff so far. I'm sure over the summer we'll all run into each other someplace. :D Glad to have my own machine and get Jeff's back-up back to him. GL & HH See ya around somewhere!

You found a sharpie? Luxury. I can only dream of finding a sharpie. I can only find a shovel full of hot gravel.

Yea, I know of no one who has ever found a sharpie with their detector. I'd frame it and hang it on the living room wall. :laughing:

Last edited:
Yea, I know of no one who has ever found a sharpie with their detector. I'd frame it and hang it on the living room wall. :laughing:

Actually Tony, you've got a good idea there. I've got a bunch of left over cabinet trim and some glass down stairs. I think I'll throw together a shadow box and award it to Jeff when he finishes his bucket list. I figure the way he's going this year, that'll be about August. :D

Back
Top Bottom