• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

round-ness in the hole !!!!

Le Locle is a town in Switzerland known for clockmakers and the .800 in the oval was required by a law passed in 1880 and you don't have the hammerhead mark required by a law passed in 1934. I also cannot find any reference to any other of the marks or names on your watch and I've been through several lists of watchmakers in Locle. I'll keep looking though. It's a nice find and a beautiful watch.

Also to the right of "Diana" is the grouse hallmark which indicates .800 silver. By the way Diana is the Roman goddess of the hunt, so its a good chance the watch is a hunting watch.

Attachments

• IMG_3789.JPG
    IMG_3789.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 32
great research

Le Locle is a town in Switzerland known for clockmakers and the .800 in the oval was required by a law passed in 1880 and you don't have the hammerhead mark required by a law passed in 1934. I also cannot find any reference to any other of the marks or names on your watch and I've been through several lists of watchmakers in Locle. I'll keep looking though. It's a nice find and a beautiful watch.

Also to the right of "Diana" is the grouse hallmark which indicates .800 silver. By the way Diana is the Roman goddess of the hunt, so its a good chance the watch is a hunting watch.

WOW ! Thanks so much for the info.
I was concentrating too much on the name Diana as the maker......
Its good to know about the 1934 requirement . That really helps place a better timeframe on the piece.
I did find it near a foundation that shows on an 1867 map, so I'd imagine it could definitely be an 1880s made watch.
The only other missing piece is that I can't find the engraved name on any of the parcels from the era......yet.......
Thanks a bunch for the great info.
I wonder if it'd be possible or even worth restoring.......

The only other missing piece is that I can't find the engraved name on any of the parcels from the era......yet.......

You might try Ancestry.com...type in the name and location, see what pops up.

It would be cool if you could find a relative.

HH

Amazing find!!! That sucker looks to be in great shape! I have yet to pluck one out of the ground! My daughter in law on her second hunt ever in Abilene ks near the Chisholm trail snatched up a nice brass pocket watch! It's awesome but simply dosent even compare to your find! Congrats! Happy Hunting!!

MetalHead

Back
Top Bottom