Create your own cache--What would you do?

lol

When I was little, I buried a baggie with a few Kennedy halves, some Wheaties, and a few mercs in my yard. I cannot remember exactly where I buried it. I have not been able to find it yet! ;-)

I buried a ton of old pennies and nickels near a tree at my childhood home. I can't wait to go look for them. Of course in 1979 a hundred pennies are still only worth a dollar today.

these days I think I would only add a logbook and a couple of pebbles :D

There are hundreds of thousands if not millions doing this right now in the form of geocaches...the thing being people find them and do nothing but add to them.

You can even go somewhere online to find the exact co-ordinates of the caches...its interesting and is even considered it for a while rather then detecting..but as i cant hike then it became detecting

There are hundreds of thousands if not millions doing this right now in the form of geocaches...the thing being people find them and do nothing but add to them.

You can even go somewhere online to find the exact co-ordinates of the caches...its interesting and is even considered it for a while rather then detecting..but as i cant hike then it became detecting

try cycling, it's a nice complement to geocaching

just think the geo cache and club hunts are bull albeit some brain work and research and comaraderie and such. Like catching crappie in a barrell.

I have done some geocaching, and I somewhat agree with your opinion, if you are sort of looking at it as a form of treasure hunting. Actually, I'm not sure what others get out of it, but what I like about geocaching is that many caches are designed to point out or showcase, if you will, great geographic areas to hike or explore. So, I've found some of the best hikes, vistas, beautiful spots in parks, and just interesting places historically by looking for geocaches in an area that I'm going on vacation. It's also great fun for kids and gets them outdoors. I don't really equate it to treasure hunting at all; it's a whole different ball of wax for me. But if you like hiking, and I do, it adds a whole new element to it.:xmas:

I did create a cache about 15 years ago and buried it my backyard where I am currently living. We had just moved here and my daughter and son wanted to MD in the, they loved digging for when they were younger. Made a wooden box filled it with coins couple of five dollar bills and a handful of ones. Buried that thing in the yard and made a map, spilled coffe on some paper and burned the edges to make it look old and put it in the rafters in the basement. One day while working in the basement with my 2 little helpers we discovered the map and the search began. Haven't seen a smile so big since they dug up that treasure.

Reeldoc thats the coolest thing ive heard. I could amagine the looks on thier faces when u showed them the map. Priceless!

Well.... not exactly a *cache* but...

When I was 11 or 12, back in 1964, we left Monett Missouri for California.

If there is anyone MDing in or around Monett MO, here is what I left and where.
We lived at 309 6th St. (parallel to Euclid and near the town Library) The house faces West and is on the East side of the street.

Behind the house (East of the house) is an alley and the back yard opens onto that alley. *slightly* to the South on the opposite side of the alley is a stone wall with a piece of iron embedded in it. That will ID the correct area.

Now... where the back yard of 309 6th opens onto the alley is a tree. I THINK it is to the right as you face the house, but I could be mistaken. Either side. There's only the one tree. If two trees are present, it is the older one. When I planted the find, it was the only tree.

Between the roots on the West side I buried a ball-chain necklace (no jar or protection so it's probably rusted away) and on the necklace was two items: 1. a dog license tag from Monett and 2. the trigger of an old OLD pistol. The chain was threaded through a hole in the trigger piece.

WHY I buried it between the roots I'll never really know... I just did. I've thought about that old necklace so many times and thought about having someone go and collect it. If anyone is in the Monett area and wants to find it, I'd be delighted, even if only just to see a picture of the tag and trigger.

The chain is probably a lost cause, but I seem to recall the tag was round, and made of stainless steel, and the trigger was an old Civil War item, made of iron. They can't be more than an inch or two deep but definitely between the roots of that tree in the alley.

SageGrouse

new cache

I recently buried a cache of zinc pennys, in my back yard. I used a country time plastic lemonaide container.100 zinc pennys in all, about 20 in deep. just below the frost line. Hopefully they will be found by a future homeowner...:yes:

A member here found a cache left by an older metal detectorist. He posted it here.

The cache had a bunch of silver coins in it, kind of a mini coin collection. It had a phone number and the member here was able to contact the gentleman. It was a really cool post maybe someone can find it. I have had trouble searching old posts on here by keyword lately...

I would say a hand full of copper pre 72 pennies is the way to go.
They will always be worth there weight . Unlike our modern money.
They will always come out of the hole in good shap.
Someday a long time from now folks will hold a copper high on the list of detecting finds . A copper penny is already worth more then it face value just as our silver coins we desire now. A hand full will be a nice cashe some day.
Thaught of making copper envelopes with even copper rivets or aluminum to hold them togather. Thick copper foil can be engraved or scribed on . You can press any picture or statement into it you want even with a pencil tip. It will be stamped so it will hold up .
1 dollar of copper pennies is worth more then a buck today and will most likely stand the test of time in melt value forever. HH , Dew

We we're remodeling a room in a 1940's home , behind the wall of a closet , I found a cigar box held closed by a small nail . I called my wife shook the box said may be something good here , we took a moment to guess , baseball card or cash ? Inside was a note that said " just this note ,that is all " that sucked but we did laugh a little. I thought that was unusual at the time but after reading all the above , I guess not
HH

We we're remodeling a room in a 1940's home , behind the wall of a closet , I found a cigar box held closed by a small nail . I called my wife shook the box said may be something good here , we took a moment to guess , baseball card or cash ? Inside was a note that said " just this note ,that is all " that sucked but we did laugh a little. I thought that was unusual at the time but after reading all the above , I guess not
HH

I would check to see if the cigar box is worth something. I have found several at rummage sales that are worth $10-40 apiece, in good condition they can be worth more than that.

Back around '92 I had to open up a bedroom wall to do some repair work. Before I re-insulated and drywalled it back shut, I planted a clear vinyl bag "time capsule" for the sheer heck of it, containing a newspaper, some then-new shiny coins, an old beer can (I collect those) and a few other small items with an explanatory note.

All in fun.

Every week I set out a dumpster full of artifacts in large, plastic bags, to be buried in our community cache (also known as the landfill) for the Archie's of the future. Just my way of "paying it forward" to them, er, I mean, for them.:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom