Civil War era coins

StevoJ8

Nice loot of coins found at a Civil War era battlefield in Richmond VA. Only problem is it seems like every time I find a coin its been tampered and has in turn lost most of its value. Especially my 2 1/2 Dollar gold coin. Its been monogramed on the back so it now has no date or mintmark, what a bummer. Still a great keepsake though!

picture.php

picture.php

Well, you could always just leave it in the ground for someone else to find. I'd take a silver love token over a plain gold coin any day of the week.

I'd say that gold love token is more than a 'keepsake' - it's an absolutely incredible find. When you think about the fact that someone may have carried that into war as a reminder of their loved one, it becomes a very emotionally heavy, beautiful, and sad object.

If you are only concerned about the value of your finds, you are missing out on what for me is the most potent and moving aspects of this hobby - connecting with individuals long gone by and their relationship to our Nation's history.

Those three coins are absolutely amazing finds, especially considering where they came from... and I hope that you will treasure them.

I'd be over the moon with that little trio.

The gold love token is amazing. Probably carried into battle and who knows where the story went from there!

That love token is without a doubt one of the most amazing finds I've ever seen... I even came over from another forum to have a look at it! To think that that was carried into battle by a young man far from home who maybe didn't live past the day it was lost... What a very powerful and poignant find.

I sincerely hope that you can grow to appreciate what an incredible piece of history you have dug. No, it doesn't have as much monetary value as a similar coin that hasn't been altered, but I'd rather find something like this any day of the week than a coin I could drive down to the coin shop and purchase. This is not merely a keepsake, it is a piece of someone's life.

Thanks for the comments guys I really appreciate it. And I definitely do love the token its the most prized peice in my collection and I wouldn't sell it for any sum of money. Actually when I found the coin I took it to a buddy of mine and he took a picture of it and it made the cover of American Digger! I was amazed! And the best part is I'm just starting, I'm only 16 and I've got a lot of hunting years to go. I just hope I can turn up some more of these great finds! :grin:

I hate to tell you this but that gold coin/love token is incredible. Just think of the story behind it and what would make someone do that to a gold coin back in the day. I would rather find that then a regular old gold coin just for the history behind it.

Thats pretty awesome! They did one heck of a job carving that thing. It looks like it was done on a professional lathe or something. Great finds and greetings from Richmond. :tiphat:

PS- Just some history for ya. I've heard that gold coins are more commonly found in early Civil War camps and battlefields as opposed to late war areas. Reason is that early in the war the soldiers were paid with coinage and half way through the war is when paper money was introduced and became more popular. Not sure how accurate my facts are, but you are most likely in an early war camp area. I would hit it hard and see what else pops up.

Back
Top Bottom