I swear by an 8" coil over a 10"

Gold Digger 2

Elite Member
hunted today for 4 hours,,,,,,,talk about picked over,,,,yesterday, at another, I had .48cents, today, .42cents,,,,,no joking either,,,,I had 11 targets TOTAL! yes, was lots of swinging no digging,,,,,,I did get this 10k band that was right next to iron and was just a little low chirp with the iron it was next to,,,,I think it is like Dew said, the 10" coil is absorbing more minerals,,,,,my 8" blue has had issues and been repaired with a new threshold,,,,man, I did miss that machine while it was gone,,,,,no way I would have heard this one with the 10" coil and iron,,,,,it is getting tougher and tougher out there,,,,while I did not see any other hunters, I can see why,,,,,that beach is picked badly,,,,,this machine has been so good to me and will use it until it dies,,,,thanks for looking,,,,,GL HH

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 467
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 472
Nice find and interesting theory. I'd love to try an 8" on my 1000 blue.

IF you could persuade yourself that the 10" is better, you would go out there and do just as well.....there are situations (like what you described today) where the 8" will shine and times the 10" will be top dog....it is all in how you know your machine and use it for the most part. You and Dew are seasoned hunters and know your machines you both have your days as top dog too!

I personally think the 10x12 on the ATX is the best all round coil/machine combo and will beat anything ML can put out! ;)

Good job buddy, love the gold!

Cliff

IF you could persuade yourself that the 10" is better, you would go out there and do just as well.....there are situations (like what you described today) where the 8" will shine and times the 10" will be top dog....it is all in how you know your machine and use it for the most part. You and Dew are seasoned hunters and know your machines you both have your days as top dog too!

I personally think the 10x12 on the ATX is the best all round coil/machine combo and will beat anything ML can put out! ;)

Cliff

:laughing::laughing::laughing:you are too funny Cliff,,,,,,that ATX has sat in your closet how long?:lol:come on bro, make up your mind, is your ML CTX machine your charm or the Garret PI,,,,,,I mean seriously,,,,,,:?:Dew and I both have put hours upon hours just like you out there,,,,,I do believe confidence in a machine is just like fishing, confidence in a lure may catch more fish, but I am telling you,,,,,my blue 8" is a fire cracker on rings,,,,,just is what it is,,and I ain't complaining,,,,:lol:, even on easy coin targets, it just hit harder,,,,,GL HH

Nice Gold I love seeing those in the scoop! :wow: :cool:

Irons, I thought of you today when this one popped up with your scoop pics,,,,,cause I sure wasn't expecting it,,,,,figured it was one of those, look inside at some shells and say "oh well, just another iron target",,,,definitely was some shaking as it was a full scoop deep:shock:GL HH

Irons, I thought of you today when this one popped up with your scoop pics,,,,,cause I sure wasn't expecting it,,,,,figured it was one of those, look inside at some shells and say "oh well, just another iron target",,,,definitely was some shaking as it was a full scoop deep:shock:GL HH

I love surprises like that! 9 times out of 10 a deep signal doesn't even sound like a ring until I get closer to it. Or it starts as a mid tone, disappears, comes back as iron and finally rattles into the scoop as Gold!

I do very well with my 10" coil and multiple targets. If I hear a high beep at all even if broken I dig it and take the iron and the good stuff. I sat in one place underwater on a drop off and picked up over 50 targets without moving an inch before. Iron, silver, clad, gold, aluminum, brass and everything else. The key is to know what your machine is telling you no matter what size coil you have.

Cliff

:goodpost: it is hard to beat the PI's performance. Then again, if you pay the exorbitant MSRP of either the ATX (PI) or a CTX (VLF), either unit better find its weight in gold, girls, and beer. :lol:

Back to the OP....congrats on the gold GD!

Congrats on the sweet gold! Another advantage for the 8" coil, at least for me when hunting in murky water, is that pinpointing is a bit more precise. This allows me to retrieve the target quicker with less wasted energy. Over the course of a long day's hunt that means hunting longer and finding more targets which increases my chances of finding gold. :yes: HH!

I went out today and heard no targets at all the first hour and 13 cents the second hour, along comes Tony from out of town with his excal 2 with the 8 inch coil and he's got two rings, one gold, one silver DOH! I really have to work on getting one of those for days like today. Or... weeks like this :)

You dog you..... man i knew i should have pirated with you. Hey, but im old and needed a day from the play. Sweet.... you are turning a bad hunting situation this month into a nice month. Still plenty of month to clean house.

Cant see me going to 7 1/4" coil in the Gulf as long as im able to swing the 10" since there are fewer and fewer targets and not much current/swells. Maybe a PI is the answer..... swing awhile .... dig a lot, instead of swing a lot and look forward to stopping long enough to dig something. Thats why i hunt in PP.... gives both arms an equal chance to do something.:laughing: Id love to go to the 10X12.... but id have to do less hours. Just a lot to move out there. Glad you are getting some time on that machine.... but physically you are going to pay for it.... PI and large coil. I do hear you thou about changing it up.... you can only hit a beach so much the same way and have it produce.

Congrats again Tim on pulling this month out of the toilet.

Dew

Congrads GD, Nice Gold...!! The little 800 coils sure can single out targets.
For years I loved my little 800 coil, but it just seems the past summer the 1000 stole the show and still is in control of which gets used. And I have several ops.. 5/7.25/8/10/13/15.

Congrads GD, Nice Gold...!! The little 800 coils sure can single out targets.
For years I loved my little 800 coil, but it just seems the past summer the 1000 stole the show and still is in control of which gets used. And I have several ops.. 5/7.25/8/10/13/15.

Joe, I think the success you have had this year, you could show up without a machine and a scoop only and dig the gold,,,,:laughing:seriously though,,,,I have put more time in with my 10" and have found more gold with my 8":yes:just saying,,,,,GL HH

Joe, I think the success you have had this year, you could show up without a machine and a scoop only and dig the gold
Thanks Buddy, just more time out in the right places I guess...And
Funny you should say that because I have a State Park where I was thinking scoop n sifter...

And by no means has the 800 been replaced on my team, I still think it is one of the Hottest coils out there for the Excal, I do see in the next few years there will be a struggle to find these coils, specially the little 800. Unless you want to send her in....

I don't know what it is, I've had three excals, 2 x 10s and now the 7.25 and i don't seem to get many targets from them when I go out. The 7.25 is a strange one, sometimes it picks up too much interference, sometimes it's very quiet. It seems like it's too sensitive sometimes, like it struggles with beach mineralisation and doesn't go deep in noisy areas.

I won't give up on it though, I have found some deep junk rings that shows its potential.

Back
Top Bottom