I know it's a key, but what kind? - updated

Fooleeze

I pulled this skeleton key out today, it was a great surprise on the sidelines of a soccer field. It appears to be brass, and it has got mold lines. Looks to be pretty old, as the manufacturing has a somewhat crude look to it. But its shape is a bit different than I usually see with skeleton keys. Has anyone seen a key like this one? I know identifying age and specific use of keys can be tough, but I would appreciate any info on it. Thank you!

Update: and wouldn't you know it, I go back today and on the other side of the same field, approximately 100 yards away I pull out this old lock keyhole cover...

Attachments

• IMG_20190721_203232.jpg
    IMG_20190721_203232.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_20190722_215520.jpg
    IMG_20190722_215520.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Looks like an old jail lock key. I attached a photo of some similar keys. Hope it helps. Great find! Look for treasure around the entire area where you found that key.
a5e4cc4cb68680ed1c93806ebf181cf6.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Now an old jail key would be really interesting, considering the location I was at was a stone's throw away from the current police station. But I'm not sure yet where any old police stations were located.

Now an old jail key would be really interesting, considering the location I was at was a stone's throw away from the current police station. But I'm not sure yet where any old police stations were located.
Do a little research. You might be surprised.

Cliff

So i think the key went to a lock, obviously, but the second piece tells the story. It appears to be flip plate that covers the key hole on the lock.
VR us Victoria Regina....of England, hence the crown. It's a British patent mark.
Nice finds!

Back
Top Bottom