70 MPH blowout.

MadTownScoop

Elite Member
Well, today was a first for me. I drive a 2007 Ram 1500 4WD pickup. Ive had some issues with my tires last few years. Bad bead seals. So when I had flat tires on both of my rears during the last year from nails, I had them patched and had "Bead sealer" put on. Well, today that saved my rim. Had right rear blowout at 70mph on interstate. I had just passed a semi that was going 65 and I had cruise at 69. Limit is 70 here in Wis. Had a couple cars behind me. WAY Too close cause they wanted to go 80. Just as I felt I had given the semi plenty of room between him and I ( I drive semi myself so I like to give about 45-60 feet just in case something were to happen HE would be able to avoid me) I was getting ready to move over when,,, BOOM. right rear let go. Started fishtailing about 2 feet right, then left and so on as I slowed down as best I could without completely losing control and diving for the median strip grass so as not to get run over by the IDIOTS Following too close behind me. All ended well as I made it without losing control or some moron rear ending me.

Took a bit to get the spare on. Full size and the ground under was VERY soft so I could almost not get the blown tire off due to the scissor jack sinking into the dirt. Had to use my emergency shovel to dig a hole under the spare just to get it on the rim. Then put it in 4WD to pull my butt back out of the very soft ditch. Almost didnt make that too. LOL. Alls well that ends well right? Gonna be expensive next tuesday tho when I go to get 4 new tires on my truck. These have almost 62k on them. Not toast by any means tread wise but now only have three and with 4wd you need matched size tires so. Was hoping to make it to Feb when I get my tax return. Thats not happening. Was a little skittish there for a few seconds as I fought the fishtailing but I guess 22.5 years driving 18 wheeler's in Winter and high winds has taught me not to panic and just address the situation and react accordingly.

tire in back ground thats still on truck was run about 20 feet when it went flat due to nail I didnt know was in there and pressure was only about 15psi and the bead let go. Sealed that up and that tire is fine. FOR NOW. If Id have had to bet which tire would blow I would have said the left rear cause it already had sidewall damage. Lets hope I get thru the next 5 days without a flat since I dont have a spare now. LOL

Attachments

• IMG_20171103_134351009.jpg
    IMG_20171103_134351009.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20171103_134405269.jpg
    IMG_20171103_134405269.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 180
Dude! Almost NOBODY would survive a rear blow out at that speed! Front blow out maybe, but not a rear blow out in a pickup truck! They be sideways rolling off into the ditch or sliced up like salami through the median wires, or ploughed under the front of that Semi!... You Sir, are Not the average driver!...

I liked how you think about the 'What If' things when you are driving...having an escape route and plan B ready, and you cant beat your former experience on the ice, snow and wind...Held your cool and stayed in control...still though, that was a close one! Man! Plus you changed your own tire! Hats Off to you!

Glad it all worked out alright!!!

I've been driving on BF Goodrich All Terrains for many sets... I used to work for utilities, and drove on the shoulders often... I get over 80,000 miles out of them, and in about 400,000 miles with the same tires, I've still never even picked up a screw or nail, no flats, no patches....

Great performance when really cold and wet too..

I will not buy anything else...

<°)))>{

Man that’s a scary story! At least underwear are pretty cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s freaky man, glad it ended alright! Today it rained and boy there’s a lot of bad drivers out there in ditches and sliding around! Good tires are worth it.

Dude! Almost NOBODY would survive a rear blow out at that speed! Front blow out maybe, but not a rear blow out in a pickup truck! They be sideways rolling off into the ditch or sliced up like salami through the median wires, or ploughed under the front of that Semi!... You Sir, are Not the average driver!...

I liked how you think about the 'What If' things when you are driving...having an escape route and plan B ready, and you cant beat your former experience on the ice, snow and wind...Held your cool and stayed in control...still though, that was a close one! Man! Plus you changed your own tire! Hats Off to you!

Thanks for the kind words. I just chalk it up to my 22+ years in the semi and "gut" reactions. Not saying I'm the best driver in the world. Just handled it properly today. Another day? Who knows.

Nice job holding on to it, high speed blowouts can get nasty really quickly...

YES they do. Took probably 15-20 seconds for me to get fully stopped and that was a long time. At least it seemd like it to me. Glad I didnt have any passengers. Not sure what their reaction would have been. LOL.

Man that’s a scary story! At least underwear are pretty cheap!

HA ha ha. Thats true. LOL

Glad it all worked out alright!!!

I've been driving on BF Goodrich All Terrains for many sets... I used to work for utilities, and drove on the shoulders often... I get over 80,000 miles out of them, and in about 400,000 miles with the same tires, I've still never even picked up a screw or nail, no flats, no patches....

Great performance when really cold and wet too..

I will not buy anything else...

<°)))>{

Unfortunately I've already set up appt for next tuesday for 4 new tires. Gonna be over $1100 bucks but then again. its for truck tires (you're robbed to begin with there) And they are 20" rims on the Dodge Rams. Oh well. Was gonna get new ones in the spring so this just moved it up. Glad my rim isnt toast thanks to the "Bead Sealing" Glue that I had on the rear rims to stop the bead leaking. Aluminum rims in Salt use environments like here in the north are not a good combination. Bead seal kept the outter 3" Sidewall section on the rim and the rest of the tire stayed on the rim as well so no damage to the aluminum wheel.

Thanks again guys for the "kudo's" and kind words. I wish everyone with a blow out could be so lucky. Safe driving to you all and remember. DONT Tailgate slower traffic. You just never know when the vehicle infront of you will blow a tire like I did today. OR they may runover something and kick it up into your windshield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGlg9wQpEbw
Please watch this video. Lady got VERY lucky. Pleas also show to your kids and friends and anyone you care about. Following too close to avoid debris kicked up by another vehicle can be deadly.

I hate tailgaters that is for sure, glad your safe, on a side note summer time I ride a Bonneville bike an "escape route" is second nature..proactive not reactive.

oj/bc

ps yup a HD in avator

Glad to hear you came out of it ok. My worst flat happened when I was driving semi's. If you've ever drove in N.C., on I 85 just south of Lexington , back in the 80s and 90s , there was a bridge with 2 lanes going north and 2 going south. Going southbound , you would go around a curve, down a hill onto the bridge. It crossed what I used call the old Mud River , cause I never saw clear water under that bridge. It was about 2am one night, I was coming out of Hanover Pa, almost maxed out at 80,000 lbs, hauling canned veggies to the Food Lion distribution plant in Salisbury N.C. Coming down the hill I merged over to the left lane as there was a slower truck in the right lane. Hammered down with my foot to the floor, and with the weight of the truck, I hit the bridge at around 80 mph. The steering wheel started to shake a little, so I grabbed the wheel with both hands, and at about that time, with my drive axles right about the at steer axles of the other truck, my front end when to shaking like crazy, almost to the point to where you couldn't hardly hold on to the wheel. I was able to ease onto the brakes to slow down enough to keep control and let the other truck pass while I merged over coming off of that bridge, hitting the breakdown lane. My right front steer tire just went flat at almost the worst possible place it could have on the whole damned stretch of 85 throughout all of NC.
Just like truck drivers do, they build up speed going down the hill, to get up the next. And that's what I was doing, as well as just trying to hurry and make it those last 20 miles or so , so I could jump in the back and get some much needed sleep.
There is no telling what would have happened had I not been able to control that truck, if I would have veered into the other truck, it would have been one hellofamess on that bridge.
I literally thanked the lord for pulling me thru that one , and it taught me a lesson, Getting up that next hill was not worth risking the lives of other people.
If I remember right, when they came out the next morning to put on a new tire, they said they couldn't find the reason that one went flat.
That's my best ,stateside , dirty drawers moment.

That's crazy. Glad you're okay! That bead sealer sure did hold half the tire on at least, never seen a tire separate like that before but looks much more managable than shredding the whole thing.

On a side note...

I'd rather take a rear blowout than a front any day...

Feathers keep the arrow straight....

<°)))>{

On a side note...

I'd rather take a rear blowout than a front any day...

Feathers keep the arrow straight....

<°)))>{

Yeah, My thinking too. If my right front had gone.. would have gone to the right pretty quick causing that semi to hammer the brakes and possibly swerve and who knows where I'd have ended up. Ditch off right side? Fishtailing back to the left and getting hit in drivers door by the tailgater which was a small car which would have rolled me. SOOO many things could have gone wrong. Only one or two could go right and end the way mine did. Thankful for the powers that be and those on the other side possibly guiding my hands and truck to safety.

I hate tailgaters that is for sure, glad your safe, on a side note summer time I ride a Bonneville bike an "escape route" is second nature..proactive not reactive.

oj/bc

ps yup a HD in avator

On a bike I act like every driver out there is trying to kill me. Most are on their phones and don't see you anyway.

Back
Top Bottom