Times, they are a changing...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and

Attachments

• PicsArt_1457549012675.jpg
    PicsArt_1457549012675.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 1,545
So true DIGGER27. I grew up hand fishing (noodling) the Arkansas River and building forts from the woods and tunnels in the field. Our idea of having a blast was going to the nearest farmers corn field and have cornstalk fights.

I am 65 now and sure glad I grew up when I did. At the age of 10 we would walk about 2 1/2 miles to a stone quarry to fish and swim. Had caves to explore, played baseball and football, Ice skating and sledding in the winter. Man you could not keep us in doors weather permitting. God you can't even let your kids out in a fenced yard. With out being outside watching out for them. Sad times these days.

I stared at that picture for a long time trying to figure out what they are possibly doing.

I know.... waiting for the bus, they are studying for a test right? :lol:

The sad thing is, a couple of them are probably texting each other, or possibly they all are on group chat with each other. I'm glad I grew up in the Dixie cup and string era :laughing::laughing:

More than ever kids today have to keep up with the new electronics , phones , PC , even games , if they want to compete for jobs . My daughter does far more than I ever did at each year of her life . If I had a choice I would take today over the past hands down .
HH

And now all of us grown ups just talk to our friends on the metal detecting forums. [emoji12][emoji23]

I'm guilty of spending way too much time on this forum on my iPhone. And in typical parental hypocracy my kids don't watch tv and I limit my sons time on the computer or iPad (daughter doesn't care for it as much). They do spend good time outside in the summer and when the weathers good enough in the winter.

Reminds me of this mockup.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 263
My kids are 30, 26, 24 and 20. None of them were tied to any electronic devices. They played sports or they were with me hunting or fishing. At their ages now, they use their phones but rarely make a phone call.

It is a shame. I grew up and was content on playing with a $1 bag of green army men or playing in a pick up game of baseball that lasted from 9 am until it was too dark to play.

A different world to say the least.

People are addicted... to information.

My time as a child was often spent at the library, now my library time has exponentially increased in the form of phone time.

Not all phone time is Facebook.

People are addicted... to information.

My time as a child was often spent at the library, now my library time has exponentially increased in the form of phone time.

Not all phone time is Facebook.

Too bad all my phone time is FMDF :lol: You are correct though, todays phones are yesterday's library for some.

G2M

My wife and kids are also tethered to their Idiot phones...zombies galore, it is really sad to think that many people don't/won't truly experience life, just existence.

As I teach full time for a local college, I have seen the rapid transition to these digital zombies. Five years ago I would have tell my classes to "quiet down" and "settle down, let's begin..." Now there isn't a word spoken, in fact I must FORCE them to communicate with each other. It's sad. With the world at your fingertips 24/7 you would think these millennials would be the most worldly, creative, well read, informed group of kids but the EXACT opposite is true (not all, but mostly). The photography students refuse to shoot photos, the ceramics students don't want to get dirty, the graphic design students say "I just don't have ANY ideas". Digital Zombies.

Ugh. I will quit my complaining now, but really folks, I think we're doomed. These people will be taking care of us some day!

As I teach full time for a local college, I have seen the rapid transition to these digital zombies. Five years ago I would have tell my classes to "quiet down" and "settle down, let's begin..." Now there isn't a word spoken, in fact I must FORCE them to communicate with each other. It's sad. With the world at your fingertips 24/7 you would think these millennials would be the most worldly, creative, well read, informed group of kids but the EXACT opposite is true (not all, but mostly). The photography students refuse to shoot photos, the ceramics students don't want to get dirty, the graphic design students say "I just don't have ANY ideas". Digital Zombies.

Ugh. I will quit my complaining now, but really folks, I think we're doomed. These people will be taking care of us some day!

Bluedog, since you're a college teacher I'd be curious o see what would happen if you gave the class a map and compass and see if they could find anything on it by actually using them. Even being in elementary school in the 70's this was stuff they would reach us early on and through high school. Be curious if they could even identify which was the map and which is the compass. Guess they would just ask Siri.

Bluedog, since you're a college teacher I'd be curious o see what would happen if you gave the class a map and compass and see if they could find anything on it by actually using them. Even being in elementary school in the 70's this was stuff they would reach us early on and through high school. Be curious if they could even identify which was the map and which is the compass. Guess they would just ask Siri.

Ha! They wouldn't have a clue, seriously. I'm not trying to be mean or bitter, but this current generation I'm dealing with is completely clueless. Simple things that you and I take for granted are beyond them. Case in point: reading a freaking ruler... Completely foreign to them. They know it's a ruler, they know it's used for measuring, they even know the little marks mean something, what exactly? Completely clueless. Really. As an art instructor we measure quite often, and these last few years I spend copious amounts of time teaching fundamentals instead of focused areas of design.

Not all, but most students simply can not use a a ruler. I use analogy of the dollar (quarters, halves) and reach some, but if we delve into eighths, or 16ths, or God forbid add fractions they are screwed. One student was measuring a mat for a photo, she was supposed to find the center, I showed her over and over. Walked her through it, and asked her what half of 10 was, she didn't know. I said don't be embarrassed, get out a piece of paper and see if you can figure it out. She stared at the paper for quite some time. I asked what was wrong, she said she didn't know how to do it. I said try 10 divided by 2, she stared at the paper for a long time. (I absolutely REFUSE to tell them, after all they're here to learn!) Finally, I begin to feel sorry for her, and ask her if her phone has a calculator. She dug it out and stared at it again for several minutes... I asked what was the deal now. She said she didn't know how to do it... Finally (with direction) she arrived at the correct answer. Wow. Then I asked her to find the center of the vertical measurement, "Ok, good, now what's half of 7 and a half?" She looked at me with a super wide Cheshire Cat smile and said "Nice try Sam, you're trying to trick me!" I was confused, and asked for clarification. She said completely sincere and honest "There is no half of seven and half, it's mathematically impossible."

Digital zombies.

On the flip side I'll be they could tell you right off the top of their head how many times Tom Cruise was married and to whom. Or anything else that happens in Hollywood. (Place, not MD'er on forum, unless he's a famous actor we are not aware of)

My 2 girls played sports year round. So they stayed occupied and away from video games and social media until almost their teens. I'm happy they got that far and outta the house as much as they did as they got to explore and enjoy a lotta things most kids their age did not

I was raised by my grandparents In the country. My grandfather had a little country store where all the farmers would hang out. The school bus would pick me up and drop me off at the store. When I was not working at the store I was fishing or hunting. When these kids today get out in the real world, we are in trouble.

I'm 20, and I grew up with both. I actually didn't have my first phone until I was 17, but I did grow up with video game systems. But more than anything I loved being outside, especially catching frogs, snakes, and insects (yeah I was always a tomboy), and biking and rollerblading. I had a pocketknife and spent endless amounts of time whittling as well... nowadays parents are afraid to give their kids knives. When I was 14 I got my horse so I spent a lot of time outside with him... still do.

Today I have a simple Tracfone- no iPhone or Smartphone and video games don't hold my attention like they used to. I'd much rather be outside detecting. :yes: It is saddening to see so many people my age with their noses in their phones. It's like: look up and experience the world people!

Back
Top Bottom