Best coins?

Roger B

Forum Supporter
I don't know anything about coin collecting or the coins themselves. Throughout the forum I see and read about "seated" coins, "Indian Heads", "Standing" coins, etc.
Which brings me to a couple of questions, What is considered to be the "Holy Grail" of coins to be found, if there is one and which coins are the preferred or the most valuable? Now I know condition is everything and one coin might be better to some than others but what coins are most sought after?

Also is there a website that anyone can pass on to me that has info on coin types?
Thanks

The interesting thing is that you can ask that question to 10 collectors, and you would probably receive just as many answers.

Sticking with circulated coins only, since that is what we as detectorist search for, you would find that some prefer to collect old copper type coins, others colonial or similar coins, while for many the silver is what gets their attention.

A good reference on coins would be this site: http://www.coinfacts.com/

It'll be interesting to see what others prefer to find/collect. :grin:

Angel

I would suggest that you go to the book store and get a coin guide book such as the Red Book. This will help explain the different types of coins and give some sort of value for them.
As far as Holy Grials of coins , that may depend on where you are. Here in CT many consider the Higley copper the holy grail of coins. Many in New England consider the Willow Tree Shilling the Holy Grail. I woulod say that any rare date coin is worth getting or finding and if you get one you may just have your own Grail. :yes:

I don't really get into the real old coins. My oldest coin is an 1884 morgan dollar(I didn't find it, though) I would say those are pretty popular.

TonyinCT said:
I would suggest that you go to the book store and get a coin guide book such as the Red Book. This will help explain the different types of coins and give some sort of value for them.
As far as Holy Grials of coins , that may depend on where you are. Here in CT many consider the Higley copper the holy grail of coins. Many in New England consider the Willow Tree Shilling the Holy Grail. I woulod say that any rare date coin is worth getting or finding and if you get one you may just have your own Grail. :yes:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: Wow, Tony, do I feel dumb! I went to the bookstore a couple weeks ago, and found the coins section. I didn't understand why there were blue books and red books, so I bought the cheapest one, which happened to be blue. Then, as I take it out when I get home, I see the HUGE letters on the cover that read, "The #1 Bestselling Annual Guide to Dealer Buying Prices"  :roll: But it is still a handy thing to have, for information on dates, etc.

angellionel said:
The interesting thing is that you can ask that question to 10 collectors, and you would probably receive just as many answers.

Sticking with circulated coins only, since that is what we as detectorist search for, you would find that some prefer to collect old copper type coins, others colonial or similar coins, while for many the silver is what gets their attention.

A good reference on coins would be this site: http://www.coinfacts.com/

It'll be interesting to see what others prefer to find/collect.   :grin:

Angel
Thanks Angel, that website that you posted is going to really help.

If I had to pick a "holy grail" of coins for a metal detectorist to find, it would be any gold coin. Some of the rarer key date coins that could stand a reasonble chance of being found might be a 1909 S VDB wheat penny, or a 1916 D Mercury dime. I also agree with Tony that a Massachusetts Pine Tree or Willow Tree silver shilling coin would be very near the top of the list too.

But in reality, any old coin, be it copper, silver or gold is a great find, even if just for the historical value. A few weeks ago, I found my first 3 Mercury dimes on a hunt in a wooded park in CT. One of them was dated 1929. Not too old, but it is silver, and considering that 1929 was the year the Great Depression started, must have represented a fairly sizeable loss to whoever lost it. It really makes you wonder who it was, and what were they doing when they lost, how badly did the loss affect them, etc. To me, that makes it more valuable than any price printed in any book.

Good post by the way Roger, thanks!

Treasurekid had my picks, a 1909s, wheatie -sweet..., I have to ask do you mean world coins, or u.s., there's a big difference and some coins are worth, more than I'll ever have.
I do believe they made about 11,000 copper 1943 wheat cents, and their value is scarey. smg

smg said:
Treasurekid had my picks, a 1909s, wheatie -sweet..., I have to ask do you mean world coins, or u.s., there's  a big difference and some coins are worth, more than I'll ever have.
I do believe they made about 11,000 copper 1943 wheat cents, and their value is scarey.   smg

I forget exactly what coin it was, but I saw in Whitman's Blue Book a coin that there are only 5 known specimens of. It was probably some type of error, but I'll check later.

Back
Top Bottom