1973 silver lookin penny,don't stick to a magnet

penny pincher

I have looked every where on the world wide web at least i think.lol i have a 1973 silvery looking penny and it dont stick to a magnet and it dont have a letter on it (D,S) can some one tell me any thing about it??????

I have looked every where on the world wide web at least i think.lol i have a 1973 silvery looking penny and it dont stick to a magnet and it dont have a letter on it (D,S) can some one tell me any thing about it??????

I will have a pic up soon. But it looks like a regular US penny but its light weight and silver looking. I think it maybe a aluminum but it does a 1973 on it.

I will have a pic up soon. But it looks like a regular US penny but its light weight and silver looking. I think it maybe a aluminum but it does a 1973 on it.

The U.S. does not have pennies. The U.S. denomination is cents. That is why I ask. At no time has our coins ever said penny. Where as england has pennies. But no cents. :lol: True but funny. WOLF

I remember reading a post in here about a gumball machine full of coins. For a quarter you could get anywhere from a penny, all the way up to a silver dollar.

The problem was, they were all fake and made out of aluminum. They looked real until you pulled out of their plastic bubble and held them.

This may just be one of those coins.

Just a thought....

Without out something as simple as a picture, all you will get here is speculation on multiple accounts. If you cant at a minimum post a pic (which would probably still not get you an answer) just find a reputable coin shop in your area and take it in.

Unfortunately, these posts pop up every now and then with someone thinking they've found a great unknown variety/error coin and end up only making a few posts and are gone forever. (A link to one of those posts was provided above) Hope thats not the case here and you've found a nice rare error.

as a kid I remember toy cashregisters having aluminum and also plastic coins...just a thougt, put up a pic so we can better see what it is...cliff.

pic of the 1973 penny

here is a picture of the penny....

Attachments

• 1973 pennnnny.jpg
    1973 pennnnny.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 4,557
Well, if it was a 74, and indeed aluminum, you would be either celebrating or hiding from the Secret Service! As far as this one goes, I'd say someone either plated it, or it's been cleaned with some sort of chemical that caused it to turn that color. Good luck!

You know that the1974 penny that were made of aluminum were actually made in 1973. Maybe this penny was an error penny from that time. I know I'm a wishin and hopin but it would be nice.lol I just thought maybe somebody have seen 1 before.

I know what that is. That penny has been coated in a tinning machine. It melts solder in a vat that is normally used to solder entire printed circuit boards. I've seen it before. If you look where it say's 'IN GOD WE TRUST' you can see a little excess build-up of the tin. To prove it, just take a knife and rub the blade on the rim of the coin and the copper will show through.
John

Back
Top Bottom