Getting silver...But not from the ground

bos1526

In the past couple weeks I've gotten a 1946 and a 1944 P nickel, but not from detecting--They were in my change. I recognized them right away by the noticeable difference in color and definite wear.

Does anyone else look through the change they get from stores to see what they've gotten, and if so, what's the best coin (or bill) you've ever gotten in your change?

When I worked in customer service, I was also a cashier. I frequently saw old coins come through there, and when I did, I switched them out with newer coins, even the wheaties.

Mostly what I got was foreign coins though, and the girl in the office saved some for me in a jar.

The amazing thing was hearing a cashier refuse a buffalo nickel because she had never seen one before.

The best thing that came across my hands was a 10 dollar silver certificate. :yes:

I sold it on ebay for about 40 bucks.

Attachments

• 10dollarsilvercertificate.jpg
    10dollarsilvercertificate.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 314
my best as a cashier was a 1917s merc. But am always getting occassional silver dimes and quarters. wheaties on a weekly basis

I've gotten many wheaties in change over the years, and just a few months ago, and a few months ago, I got a 1998 S proof nickel in change from a coffee shop. ALWAYS check your change!

I mentioned this once before as a topic, because if you can get half dollars, which some banks carry My first roll had a 65' silver half, Also they made half dollars with and 80% silver content till the 1970, I also found several 1976 bicentennial, which are worth about a buck and a half. I always check my change and have found a number of 40's wheaties, I think old nickels 1942-45 had a 35% silver content, Not solid silver, but they do have the look of a silver coin. smg

Nice $10 Silver Certificate, Carol!

My best was a 1934 $10 bill I got when I worked in the parking garage while doing museum security--I went to take change out and thought it was counterfeit because the color is so much different.

You're right TreasureKidd, always check your change! You never know what one person might use as money and you might get in the shuffle.

I worked as a bank teller for two and a half years and saw everyhting from Canadian Large Cents to bags of US Silver coinage. People will consistently cash obsolete coins and you NEVER know where they will show up! I even found an Indian Head in the deposit from a Payless Shoe Store!

I go to banks now and buy out all the branches in town of half dollars just to pull the silver. I average about one roll of silver every week-and that is only for about 4 hours on Saturday mornings! I wish I could go everyday!

So...local_coins.... it's YOU!

I went into the bank, and asked if I could get some silver halves, and they said, "Sorry, someone already asked us to save them for them."

:lol:

Just a couple days ago I got a 1909 D wheatie in my change which I thought was pretty cool but nothing like what you guys are finding.

ditto on the wheaty...read this and looked through my change bucket...found that i had a 1920 wheaty in there...set that one aside...

speaking of change i used to work at a small gas station and some folks came in one day and payed with all coinage...mostly franklins (maybe some rosies too) and other things i have put away. but i know nothing about coins...but i recall franklin on a few of them...put my cash into the till and took the coins. figured they just looked cool.

Here's my additive:... a definite moronic decision to buy this on Ebay, it was, but, hey... I've never claimed that I was the smartest waddler in the gene pool...! :lol:

Attachments

• 1tiverton1853.jpg
    1tiverton1853.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 325
Heh, heh ....

I manage a store and we get all kinds of stuff in there, even from the bank. Here's a tip before I give out my register finds ... Those 2005 nickels they put out with the buffalo on the back and the face offset on the front .... save them. the banks are giving them out in rolls as clad but the government only produced them for a year. Keep the Lewis and Clark coins and all the other specialty coins you can think of even if it's clad. They don't make them anymore.

Now ... I found an original buffalo nickel in the drawer at work as well as some foreign coins. People pass them off as regular clad. I even took in a wheatie during the course of a day and gave it back in change without knowing it until the customer told me, "HEY! You gave me a wheat back penny! My husband collects those!" And they were happy as a pig in mud.

I always change out the coins I want for the face value.

Here's a lookie at the buffalo I found in my drawer ...

Attachments

• BuffaloNickel1924.jpg
    BuffaloNickel1924.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 266
You got that right Snowy. My wife and I save every one of those nickels we come across. Might only be worth a nickel now, but later on look out. :wow: Someone on the old forum mentioned running coins through the vending machines at work, and hitting the coin return button. Well, let me tell you it works. I was doing that this last winter, and found several Rosie's, and a silver quarter.

smg said:
I mentioned this once before as a topic, because if you can get half dollars, which some banks carry My first roll had a 65' silver half, Also they made half dollars with and 80% silver content till the 1970, I also found several 1976 bicentennial, which are worth about a buck and a half. I always check my change and have found a number of 40's wheaties, I think old nickels 1942-45 had a 35% silver content, Not solid silver, but they do have the look of a silver coin. smg
Actually from 1965 - 1970 it was 40% silver. 1970 were only offered in proof (S) or collector sets so the 1970 ones found loose are a rare find.

I too look through halves now and then that get from the bank. My last check I found just 1 40% silver in 560 halves :( I did luck out once and get 3 walking lib's within 300 halves.

And do you really get $1.50 for the bicentennial halves :?: I usually get 2 or 3 per roll.

FYI on the silver clad halves: The outer layer is 80% silver, the inner layer is only about 20%. He was half right!

Back
Top Bottom