Amethyst?

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
Im not sure of the kind of stone this ring has. Its a dark purple.... it could be an Amethyst. Got it a few days ago and was surprised that it does set off the diamond tester. This thing looked good for white gold in the basket..... but its clearly marked .925. It has 3 of the same kind of stone on both sides... not one to melt.

Dew

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 513
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 527
Looks a lot "bluer" than amethysts I've seen (which tend to be more grapey purple). Color looks closer to sapphire but I have no idea if that's what it is...would be nice though! I have heard that sapphires will set off some diamond testers while amethyst comes in much lower...something to do with thermal conductivity or something. I'm hoping for sapphire. :lol:

looks like a amethyst Dew, great looking ring,,,,,looks like a fresh drop, nice and clean ring,, I agree with Stewart about the color not as purple of amethyst but it may be the way the light is shining,,,,,,I am not sure if amethyst sets of a diamond tester or not, I have a couple amethyst but as you know I have lost my tested so I cant check it,,,,instead of showing us your sexy legs how about showing the group that fine looking chief ring on your hand,,,:laughing:GL HH

Got my tester working again. Same brand as yours. This is a 925 ring. Clear stones don't do anything. Colored ones set it off:?:

Attachments

• SAM_1680.jpg
    SAM_1680.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 466
Very nice ring!! Congrats!!

100% sure its not amethyst..

It could either be real or synthetic, blue sapphire, or blue topaz...

Here are a couple similar I found..

picture.php

picture.php

<*)))>{

Nice ring Dew... would you put me in your will? You're never going to sell any of your finds... :laughing:

.... it could be an Amethyst...
Great find!!!

That is the ideal color for Tanzanite. Look at under bright light and UV light to see if it displays characteristics of (2) colors.....keep in mind, when it is mined it is tri-chromatic but the treating process leaves it dichromatic. Anyhow, if there are two colors then you're in luck!

As far as Sapphires, they have a range of hardness which is factored into their grading scale. Some can be very hard, <1 point off a diamond on the Mohs scale. Sapphires come in every color of the rainbow too!

Anyhow, my vote is that the stones are sapphires.

Great find!!!

That is the ideal color for Tanzanite. Look at under bright light and UV light to see if it displays characteristics of (2) colors.....keep in mind, when it is mined it is tri-chromatic but the treating process leaves it dichromatic. Anyhow, if there are two colors then you're in luck!

As far as Sapphires, they have a range of hardness which is factored into their grading scale. Some can be very hard, <1 point off a diamond on the Mohs scale. Sapphires come in every color of the rainbow too!

Anyhow, my vote is that the stones are sapphires.

Cool post!!

<*)))>{

It may look blue....but its purple.....a real dark purple. Just surprised me that it set of the ole tester. Tim..... if u found this I suspect it would be gone.

Thanks guys.

Dew

Found this in the dry sand at my beach a couple of weeks ago. Wife won't take it off! LOL!!
I'm glad I occasionally find one she really likes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 369
Craig.... now you do sound like my Xwife.:laughing::laughing::laughing: I may have to give it all away to charity in my will because family cant appreciate it and i could need the karma.:lol:

Dew

Im not sure of the kind of stone this ring has. Its a dark purple.... it could be an Amethyst. Got it a few days ago and was surprised that it does set off the diamond tester. This thing looked good for white gold in the basket..... but its clearly marked .925. It has 3 of the same kind of stone on both sides... not one to melt.

Dew

here Dew check for your self maybe one of these stones are close, HH

http://www.gemhut.com/gemidx.htm

Thanks for the site BS... i book marked it, heck of a lot easier than going thur the gem book i have. Its in silver, so it cant be that expensive of a stone.

Dew

You should be able to get a green "tint" from the inside or outside if you hold it at just the right angle. See pictures above. All these sapphires come from the same mine location. The government made it illegal in 2006 for locals to mine these sapphires and declared the site a national heritage/protected spot (think open pits filled with farmers holding pick axes). As a result production has dropped and prices has started to increase.
Its an Asian sapphire, worth at most $15... prior to 2006 it would be worth about a buck.
Still not a bad looking ring.

Back
Top Bottom