Using hot peroxide on an LC...before and after

The Jersey Digger

Elite Member
I found this 1817 Large Cent the other day when I found the 1 Reale. I could see that it had full Liberty and I thought it was 1819. The hot peroxide definitely made a difference. I could probably give it one or two more soaks, but I don't want to risk losing any more detail. After taking it out from the peroxide I lightly used a toothbrush and soap and water. That took most of the gunk off. I cant say this will work on all LC's but it did good on mine. I know many other more experieced people in this have said it has ruined one of theirs. Do it at your own risk. Thanks for looking and HH...

Attachments

• IMG_3047.jpg
    IMG_3047.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_3057.jpg
    IMG_3057.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_3048.jpg
    IMG_3048.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_3058.jpg
    IMG_3058.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 452
You should seriously invest in a tumbler with all these large cents you're finding. They won't damage a coin like peroxide will and don't dry out or put the surface. I put some decent wheats in peroxide only to have the patina come completely off and ruin the coin. Looked like the surface of the moon.

You should seriously invest in a tumbler with all these large cents you're finding. They won't damage a coin like peroxide will and don't dry out or put the surface. I put some decent wheats in peroxide only to have the patina come completely off and ruin the coin. Looked like the surface of the moon.

I think the peroxide did a good job on this one. And I have only found 3 LC's Rick. Not that many...lol

May try

Sean,I tried something on the coppers and it works pretty good.First hot water and dawn soap with soft tooth brush. Then let it air dry. Then dab with mineral oil. The coins made of copper cleaned up well and the patina is still on. The details were not lost and pitting didn't occur. You may want to try it. I will try and post some before and after picks.

Sean,I tried something on the coppers and it works pretty good.First hot water and dawn soap with soft tooth brush. Then let it air dry. Then dab with mineral oil. The coins made of copper cleaned up well and the patina is still on. The details were not lost and pitting didn't occur. You may want to try it. I will try and post some before and after picks.

Pitting doesn't occur from using peroxide. The pitting is already there from being under the ground for 180+ years.

Back
Top Bottom