• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Newbie from Connecticut

RandyCT

Hi all. I am interested in starting this great hobby. I have not bought anything yet and was hoping to get some advice before I start.

Should I try to find someone in the buddy forum to take me out and show me the ropes first?

Should I join a local club and go to a meeting first?

Just buy a detector and start hunting in my back yard?

Any and all advice in getting started would be most welcome.

Welcome from Kansas and Antiques Detectors. Good luck and Happy Hunting!

Welcome from Utah!
I started out alone but found that going out with a buddy speeds up the learning process. If there is a club near by I would go for it - lots of potential buddies there!
Good luck and HH!

Welcome for L.I. , NY . I started out researching online , and here . I think whatever method of starting out that is comfortable for you is a good way to go .

Welcome to the forum and the hobby! A buddy and a club would be great if you can find both near to you. But you can pick a good detector with advice from the forum and research, and get started in your yard... I found my first silver a couple feet from my front door, so don't forget to check there!

The next question to answer is what kind of detecting you'd like to do - beach, woods, coins, relics, gold, etc. - and what you feel comfortable spending on your first detector. Like with most things, there's a sweet spot where you get the most value for your money, and beyond that you're paying out of proportion for very small levels of improvement.

Best of luck and happy hunting!

Definitely look at your budget first, and don’t forget to factor in a pin pointer as that is a must. Also another variable i have personally found is this was a great hobby I started 4 years ago, 3 years ago I crossed the line to obsession but have loved it every step of the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out the Garrett Ace 250. The best starter machine, IMHO, you can buy..

Good luck there is plenty to find..

The next question to answer is what kind of detecting you'd like to do - beach, woods, coins, relics, gold, etc. - and what you feel comfortable spending on your first detector. Like with most things, there's a sweet spot where you get the most value for your money, and beyond that you're paying out of proportion for very small levels of improvement.

I love history and detecting in old Revolutionary War camps and such appeals to me the most. But I think I would enjoy most anything to start off with. What little research I have done my budget is probably the $100 to $150 range.

Check out the Garrett Ace 250. The best starter machine, IMHO, you can buy..

Cool, thanks I will check it out.

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

For suggestions before buying a detector, tell the forum members if you will be only detecting on dry land or also in water and at beaches, and what price range you need to stay within.

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

For suggestions before buying a detector, tell the forum members if you will be only detecting on dry land or also in water and at beaches, and what price range you need to stay within.

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

+1 Not every detector is good for all types of detecting let us know where and what you are interested in.

Welcome to the forum from snowy Western NY :fmdfwelcome:

:snowballfight::snowtruck::snowshovel:

Welcome Randy! You may go to a club meeting. Talk to the old guys, get some tips on a model they suggest or maybe they have some used machines for less. Then maybe go out on some hunts! GL

Welcome from Loganville, GA.

I went to the local club when I was getting started. I learned a lot there and met some great folks. Then I found this site and I haven't finished reading yet.

Back
Top Bottom