cleaning clad with heavy iron

MD-Mainiac

Forum Supporter
Where I dig, the sand and beaches are heavy in iron, so any coins that have been in the dirt for a year or more, get a heavy iron coat.

I would like to know what the best way of removing the iron from the clad.
(nickels, dimes and quarters).

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure your coins are just brown like everyone else's. There's no point in trying to clean them past just getting all the dirt off either... you won't ever get them "shiny" again. If you want to spend the time and money on it I've heard good things about Conklins Cleaning Gel.

I tumble my silver clad for 3 hours then take out and rinse. I pick out all the coins that are clean and then I put all the black and red coins back in and run for another 6 hours. Gets them all pretty darn clean.

I know they don't have to be this clean I just like doing it and it feels good to put buried coins back into circulation.

okay, I see one on sale from $89.00 to $54.99.
Is that a good price, also, what do you use with it to clean the coins?

That is a good price. Don't forget to check for promo codes for free shipping.

Everyone has their own preferred method for cleaning. I just use small gravel and a drop of dish soap and water just to barely cover the coins/gravel.

Harbor Freight dual tumbler for me too. Cheap white aquarium rocks from Wally World and a drop of dish soap. Fill less than 1/2 with coins, rocks an inch from the top, just enough water to cover the stones, soap. Run 2 hour cycles, check progress and repeat. ***Tip: Place tumbler on folded old bath towel. Drums may leak if too much soap is used, also reduces noise and vibration indoors.

Made my own sifter from dollar store bowls to speed up the separating process. Rinse drum in the sink until water is somewhat clean. Pour water out of the drum, stack the bowls together, add rock and coin, lift and shake... Larger rocks that don't pass through through the holes get tossed.

Classifier_zps5b5d48ba.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom