Case Pocket Knife

garret_21

I found a sweet old case knife under a clothes line area of an old house. Attached is a photo, I have used electrolysis very little but didn't know if this would help clean up the find. If not electrolysis what other methods would you use.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 304
Maybe a week long soak in some penetrating oil and a brass brush. Not sure how much metal is left on that blade or the steel parts. If you juice it it may just fall apart. I'm no expert by the way.

Maybe a week long soak in some penetrating oil and a brass brush. Not sure how much metal is left on that blade or the steel parts. If you juice it it may just fall apart. I'm no expert by the way.

That was my fear as well...I don't want to damage the handle, but I would like to clean it up for showing.

Thanks

Do not clean it. At this point it's more interesting as is. You will do more harm than good trying to clean it. At most, hit it lightly with some WD40 and get a nice display box/case. Its a great find! CONGRATS!

yea leave it as is. i used to collect, and had a friend that repaired them. the back springs are the first thing to break and if you hit the handle with a high speed polish wheel and its the oil based plastics it will melt quickly. it looks too far gone to be a repair to tote. leave it like it is and enjoy it. nice old barlow design. go to Case pocket knife site and the look at the way Case is written etc.. and you can date it. i got out of collecting and just cant recalll how to anymore accurately.

yea leave it as is. i used to collect, and had a friend that repaired them. the back springs are the first thing to break and if you hit the handle with a high speed polish wheel and its the oil based plastics it will melt quickly. it looks too far gone to be a repair to tote. leave it like it is and enjoy it. nice old barlow design. go to Case pocket knife site and the look at the way Case is written etc.. and you can date it. i got out of collecting and just cant recalll how to anymore accurately.

1940-1964....Thanks for the date info

Back
Top Bottom