clean iron off of silver?

metaladdict

Elite Member
can silver be cleaned of iron coating?? i know you shouldnt clean coins in general. any ideas or advice will be taken. thanks!

Yeah, unless you've got a seriously rare/valuable coin, CLR or vinegar or a baking soda paste should clean it up.

I've been finding old silver, with chunks of iron adhered to the coin. After some research found that freezing and thawing the coin in a cup of water does the trick. Break up some toothpicks, and put in the bottom of the cup, add coin, water, and freeze. Water slowly works its way between the two metals and creates a wedge between them. Recently cleaned up two barber quarters nicely! You don't have to worry about abrasives or chemical cleaning this way.

I've been finding old silver, with chunks of iron adhered to the coin. After some research found that freezing and thawing the coin in a cup of water does the trick. Break up some toothpicks, and put in the bottom of the cup, add coin, water, and freeze. Water slowly works its way between the two metals and creates a wedge between them. Recently cleaned up two barber quarters nicely! You don't have to worry about abrasives or chemical cleaning this way.

Thank you very much MM for the info! I will try it.

Yes, I had some coins with macadam stuck to them and I tried this method and it worked extremely.

Electrolysis!!

I found a small Metal coin purse that had a Barber dime in it. This purse had turned into a big chunk of rust encasing the coins completely. I used electrolysis to get get the rust off the coins. The dime turned out great. Check out my thread and see for yourself.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=147527
I cleaned it up even better after I took those pictures of it. I was amazed at how well it cleaned up.

Back
Top Bottom