How should I clean this beauty? Or...

planerie

Elite Member
How should I clean this pre civil war relic? Or should I even attempt it? I was even thinking of contacting a museum to get info on cleaning but I dont want to do anything to it until I know it will not damage it. Its made of brass but looks like its gilded in gold. There doesnt seem to be any corrosion on it just 150+ years of grime stuck to it. What do you guys think?

IMG_0046.jpg

Preston

I don't know what it is, but it's very interesting. I clean everything with soap and water.:lol: , so I'm not one to be giving advice on true cleaning of a precious find. GL & HH

This is what it would look like cleaned. I think the one I have is a little more special just because its gilded in gold and not just the standard brass look like the one in this pic.

sword1.jpg

Something like that I would just leave alone. Do what you can with soapy water and a tooth brush. Possibly take it to pro, someone who can restore with a good reputation.

I would just use a tooth brush and some dish soap. A little dirt gives it "character" :D

Did you ever go back and see if the other signals were still there?

I have been out there several times but the ground is so hard there is no way I am going to dig any big holes. Once we get a good soaking and the ground is soft I will clear the entire area on all metal mode.

I would say soak it in water for a good 2 weeks or so and every couple days take it out, run it under water and put it back in clean water.

After that, take some soap and a toothbrush at it (gently), just to get into the nooks and crannies.

Once you do that, see how it looks and if you want it cleaner, go to a professional restorer.

i clean alot of brass and gilted brass with a product called CLR ( calcium , lime,rust) but you have to dilute it in water and just brush it on for a few seconds and then rinse off . repeat until your happy . i would first use it on something less nice to understand its properties so you don't ruin your piece.

Peroxide soak with a little brushing, and no water, just lay flat to dry. It will probably get rid of the crud unless it's very hard, and once dry you'll probably retain some of the green, or patina if there's one. If you want to cut through the crud and don't care about the green lemon juice will make the gilt shine, but it's hard to say how much gilt is left.

Personally I would use the peroxide method and keep some color because I don't think there's too much gilt left. But even the HP will bring out the gilt so it's a win-win. It's always my first step to determine if there's enough gilt left to go to the lemon.

What is it worth in the condition it is in and balance that with the cost of having it professionally restored. If you want it restored to be displayed in your home as a testimony to your prowess as a successful metal detectorist then maybe cost is not such a factor.
Myself, I would probably get it professionally restored and frame it as a conversation piece. That is, unless someone offered me a nice sum for it.

Back
Top Bottom