OK, this is how KT is cleaning the pounds of old cruddy mems he's got!

KingTotsalot

Official Tot Lot King
Forum Supporter
Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
And recognise...KT has NO KEY DATES or RARE coins! Just fed up with not being able to get them to pass back into circulation.

This thread is pic heavy.

All these mems have been first cleaned with running water and gentle rubbing just to get the dirt off enough to see the back to determine that they are mems or newer.

The basic coin may or may not have corrosion and the corrosion may vary from very mild...like a single pinhole, to your totally rotten mem with no edge left on it and up to half eaten up!

Using a teaspoon of salt to a half quart of white vinegar, KT starts the basic cleaning process. This is done in a plastic V8 bottle, after KT finished it off! :lol::lol:

First pour in the vinegar, add salt, and add a cup or so of cruddy mems. Place lid on and shake vigorously for 10 seconds. The crack the cap and set aside for 20 minutes, then repeat shaking, and setting....about 3 to 4 times. As cruddy as these coins are you won't see a lot of change in them but you will see the vinegar/salt mixture start to get "dirty". Personally, KT salvages the vinegar/salt mixture and does a second batch before tossing it down the sink and starting over.

Anyway, KT dumps the coins into a colander inside a 5 qt icecream plastic bucket and then rinses the coins under the sink to remove salt/vinegar solution. Then onto an old towel to dry. Separate coins as you spread them. You can immediately pull out all the most rotten ones as that's as far as they need to go...no matter what you do to them, they are shot! Those are the ones KT will plant on the beach at Galveston next month! :lol::lol:

Now to the others. When they are thoroughly dry you will see some differences in them. The zincolns will be black or dark brown where the full coppers will be brownish red, due to formation of Cuprite, CuO, on the surface. The zincolns often show smallish pits or round holes, like pinholes dotted around.

Now comes the more tedious part. Once separated from the truly bad ones, KT has a small wire brush in his Royal Dremel MotoTool and He begins to brush each one, first the front and then the reverse. If white metal is seen on the front, then it is too rotten and is tossed into the rotten can. They rapidly clean right up! And are certainly shiny enough to put back into circulation by leaving with your normal change at Wendy's or your fav fast food shop!

Pics show the basic sequence described above. Pic 1 water washed raw mems, Pic 2 vinegar & salt washed, Pic 3 rotten mems removed, Pic 4 wire brushed with Dremel, Pic 5 KT's big surprize! :lol::lol:

Attachments

• Raw water washed mems.jpg
    Raw water washed mems.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 486
  • Raw vinegar & sale washed mems.jpg
    Raw vinegar & sale washed mems.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 469
  • Ragged mems removed, before finally Dremel treatment.jpg
    Ragged mems removed, before finally Dremel treatment.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 470
  • Dremel brushed cleaned passable mems.jpg
    Dremel brushed cleaned passable mems.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 467
  • Surprize find in junk mems.JPG
    Surprize find in junk mems.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 472
Pretty cool. But the way i do it is get some dish soap and some fish tank gravel in the tumbler and leave it for 5-6 hours.:yes:

Me thinks KT needs to have his brainbowl scrubbed out with the royal dremel cause he's CRAZY! That's some tedious pickin KT!

KT tried the gravel / tumbler routine...does not get the coins to the point of easy reintroduction to circulation. Remember....KT stated these had already been rejected by the Bank's coinstar machine, so .....have to do something...I could epoxy them all together and make a boat anchor! But then KT would have to buy a boat! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

clad

KT, try your tumbler again but besides the gravel, use white vinegar instead of water, a little dish wash soap, and throw in a small chunk of steel wool. This will clean your clad.

OK, this is how KT cleaning the pounds of old cruddy mems he's got!

Hi Gang ! :tiphat:

Has anyone tried one of those Ultrasonic Cleaners, item #3305, capacity = one pint, selling now for $29.99 on the HF website ? They also sell a companion item #91593 Cleaning Powder, 6 oz. bottle, for $4.99.

I looked at the Manual for the Ultrasonic Cleaner model #3305 on the HF website, but the Specifications do not show the sound frequency produced by the transducer, item 20 of Parts List.

So I phoned the HF Technical Dept. at 1-888-866-5797 and was told that the sound frequency produced by that machine is 42,000 Hz (or 42 Khz), which is within the normal range for Ultrasonic Cleaners (20Khz to 400Khz, according to Wikipedia.). Wikipedia also advises that the average human hearing range is 20 to 20,000 Hz (or .02 to 20 Khz), just for comparison.

I've never tried an Ultrasonic cleaner myself........just wondering if they would do a good job on nasty clad dug pennies like the two in my photo below.

KT.......Good job on those pennies and excellent photos ! Bottom line is the results you get ! :waytogo:

Replies appreciated ;)

Todd

Attachments

• Nasty Clad Dug Pennies.jpg
    Nasty Clad Dug Pennies.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 959
Last edited:
My tumbler works great for me.
My red clay devil soil is some of the worst in the country, and my coins come out of the ground as dirty as you can get.
That first pic is a general representative, but plenty are way worse than that.
A lot of them have that concrete like crust on them, too.
I would suggest trying the tumbler again...a lot less work.

A little dish soap, some small size gravel, a couple of hours and my very dirty coins always come clean enough to be accepted by anybody and any machine.
I don't use vinegar, don't like the way they come out when I tried it.

Always a few hold outs, usually those concrete covered ones, but I just run them again and eventually they learn to toe the line.

Attachments

• DIRTY.jpg
    DIRTY.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 377
  • clean pennies.jpg
    clean pennies.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 377
  • clean clad.jpg
    clean clad.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 378
Does your bank examine each coin when depositing? Why is it so hard to put them back into circulation? Roll the pennies or put them in a Coinstar and nobody will ever know they are dirty. I get dirty cruddy ones from the stores all the time.

Does your bank examine each coin when depositing? Why is it so hard to put them back into circulation? Roll the pennies or put them in a Coinstar and nobody will ever know they are dirty. I get dirty cruddy ones from the stores all the time.

My bank's coinstar will not take them. Most of KT's problems are not related to dirt, but to the fact that so many of what He recovers are rotten eaten up zincolns! :lol::lol::lol:

FYI, all those depicted in my thread images that were cleaned, have now gone back into circulation...no problems or questions by retailers! :lol::lol:

But KT still has a pound or more of the worst bad pennies ever seen on this earth, so He will be certain they get buried somewhere around Galveston! LOL

Dear friends,

I'm not pointing a finger at anyone in particular, but just want to make a general statement as food for thought.

Over the past six years that I've been involved in metal detecting and reading probably thousands of posts on various forums, I've noticed the following scenario:

Someone submits a post that might contain helpful information to others, especially newbies to metal detecting. I've done this many times myself and am no doubt guilty of #2 below, at least once ! :lol:

I'm guessing that there are two possible intentions for these kinds of posts, i.e. #1...To help others and #2...To gain self-satisfaction from "showing off" our ideas and in some cases our photos too. Now, photos in and of themselves are a great addition to any post, but that's not the subject here.

Another someone(s) seem to find their satisfaction in replying with negative remarks, competitive ideas, or making a joke at a post that was meant to be serious, without making any complimentary remarks or thanks to the original poster.

I remind myself, as well as others, always include some form of sincere praise whenever making comments-in-opposition. That way we can avoid arguments and preserve the other persons feelings, rather than breaking their spirit to the point where they eventually refrain from posting here and move on to another MD'ing site ! :(

ToddB64

....Another someone(s) seem to find their satisfaction in replying with negative remarks, competitive ideas, or making a joke at a post that was meant to be serious, without making any complimentary remarks or thanks to the original poster.

I remind myself, as well as others, always include some form of sincere praise whenever making comments-in-opposition. That way we can avoid arguments and preserve the other persons feelings, rather than breaking their spirit to the point where they eventually refrain from posting here and move on to another MD'ing site ! :(

ToddB64

Well said.

Regarding KT's method, with the amount of coinage he finds he needs a bucket method. I'm more of the small tumbler with gravel guy myself because of my low quantity of finds. I even have to save up the dirty stuff just to get a tumbler full.

Back
Top Bottom