Cleaning Horrors!

WTR25

Accomack County, VA (Blacksburg, VA currently)
Saw this poor, abused peace dollar on ebay the other day:(, looks like someone took a dremel to it....

Anyone else seen coins this bad? Post pics if possible!:cool:

Attachments

• P0996.jpg
    P0996.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 807
A while back I seen a fairly scarce countermarked 8 reale on ebay and the seller talked about how he cleaned it, obviously thinking it looked so nice he should let everyone know, feeling I guess it would add to the value. It "was" a coin worth many hundreds.

I think it looks cool. I wouldn't do it though. Its worth at least melt anyway.
I'm not really into the value of coins or mintmarks. I don't even check the ones I dig to see if they are rare. I just enjoy digging old stuff. This winter I will go through my coins and look them up.

I think it looks cool. I wouldn't do it though. Its worth at least melt anyway.
I'm not really into the value of coins or mintmarks. I don't even check the ones I dig to see if they are rare. I just enjoy digging old stuff. This winter I will go through my coins and look them up.

I see what you mean, as I detect more, I check and clean less and spend more time swinging.

Not a cleaning story, but a coin abuse story-

A friends mother told me her husband found an early 1900s $5 indian gold piece while on horseback in the desert.
So what did they do with it?
"It banged around in our piggy bank for years":mad:
Until she remembered it one day and decided to get it appraised.
It was worth over $400 and she had it made into a pendant!!!:roll:

I found an indian head penny. Couldn't make out the date or much of anything on it. I gave it to the homeowner who was alowing me to detect her home in the country.
She called me up a few days later and said she tried some sort of bathroom cleaner on it and it disolved in a puff of smoke. Not sure what she used but I should find out so as never to use that for cleaning coins, especially copper ones.:shock::?:

I dug a heavily tarnished silver three cent, with a slight bend in it. It wasn't worth much, so I decided I would rather have it looking silvery, but I was scared of damaging it. So I took it to a coin shop. He took a look at it and said, Oh, I'm sure I can straighten that out for you, too! Put it on the counter, pressed with his finger, SNAP. I have it in a nice case now and you can't really tell it's broken. And to his credit, he gave me a better condition silver 3 cent from his shop at no charge. Still mad about that though.

You can make it look better by leaving it in a fresh water lake for a few weeks or so. Or just let it jingle in your pocket with other dirty change.

I dug a heavily tarnished silver three cent, with a slight bend in it. It wasn't worth much, so I decided I would rather have it looking silvery, but I was scared of damaging it. So I took it to a coin shop. He took a look at it and said, Oh, I'm sure I can straighten that out for you, too! Put it on the counter, pressed with his finger, SNAP. I have it in a nice case now and you can't really tell it's broken. And to his credit, he gave me a better condition silver 3 cent from his shop at no charge. Still mad about that though.

You'd think a coin shop owner would know enough to heat the coin up quite a bit before trying to bend it, especially one so thin! :roll:

Well look at it this way, you walked in with one, came out with two no charge. Don't get any better than that.

Back
Top Bottom