Your recent results at SoCal beaches?

Bklein

Curious what you guys have had the most luck with recently when detecting Southern Calif beaches - dry, wet, or say knee deep in the water. We’ve had some fair low tides, and some warm weather the last few days - it was crazy this weekend, I had planned to detect Newport Saturday afternoon but the traffic and parking were awful! I got stuck on the way to Newport for like 20 minutes by Hoag hospital, saw that no way was I going to find a parking spot in Newport so I headed south on PCH to Corona del Mar. Same deal there - a few parking spots there but absolutely full of people and like a virus super spreader event. Then to Laguna, same deal, Aliso same deal. I gave up and went to Costco on Crown Valley to buy our dog food - it was empty of people! Home depot also low traffic! Everyone went to the beach! So lots of fresh drops. For me, before this there were no targets in the wet or water. Probably were at chest level if you want to risk your life and/or have waders. So I am curious just where this large crowd has just lost their rings - in the cold water, in the wet, towel line, or behind it. It will be good to remember the next time crowds return and the water is cold.

i plan on hitting Doheny this morning since its an easy 7 minutes away last time I went I found the usual coins and a tungsten ring . I usually find good targets within 6 feet of the highest point of the wet sand

This is what a local beach looks like at 3 pm today under Covid lockdown here in England.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 151400_phixr.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 151400_phixr.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 391
La Jolla was PACKED with surfers and people walking about last week during the High/Low tides. I hunted my boo boo off through all of the tide lines and up to my chest in the water. Nothing ! Erosion is happening. It just wasn't my turn I guess...I was just lucky that I dodged about 15 rays without getting nailed.

Yeah, with no erosion - I'm thinking with all these people massing at the beaches, if we all contribute where we find the most targets it would be valuable information in the future. Its not information on where the targets move with wave action, its where are fresh drops most likely to happen - in dull days of winter. Why spend any time in the cold rough water if most fresh targets may be elsewhere? Basically a question of towel line back, or towel line forward?

Fresh drops are always in random spots, so covering ground is the name of the game. It’s all luck as far as finding fresh drops. I have found gold on literally every part of the beach in the summer (after crowds), you just have to get your coil over the spot that the person lost it.

I to have tried everything. Hunt as close to the boardwalk walls with out going nuts with EMI, grid the dry at HT, walk the tide down. Show up 2 hrs before LT and walk it down and in the water up to knees. Turn and repeat. Towel lines, entry ways, Parking lots, Been up to my neck with the surfers at glassy conditions waiting for the turn of tide. Gold is where it's at. Simple as that!

Last edited:
im in florida and dry sand is were its at right now were i am.beaches are packed very few in water.

Fresh drops are always in random spots, so covering ground is the name of the game. It’s all luck as far as finding fresh drops. I have found gold on literally every part of the beach in the summer (after crowds), you just have to get your coil over the spot that the person lost it.

Whoa! Crumble you're still around, Welcome back!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom