White’s TDI Beach Hunter Maiden Voyage

Twinkletoes

I took my new White’s TDI Beach Hunter to a nearby fresh water beach today to give it a go. The beach is metal detected every day during the swimming season and is hunted out. The TDI has a bit of a learning curve, but I managed to get it going and had fun. My first impression: “goes deep and doesn’t miss a thing”. I dug several bobby pins more than a foot deep and had several small deep targets go through the holes in my scoop (no magnet yet). Even without prior experience it still out performed my highest expectations. While I bought it for saltwater beaches I think that by setting the gain at 2 and ground balance 5, it could be tuned down enough for a “small gold” fresh water hunt. Anybody ever use a PI detector on a fresh water beach? Thanks for looking. Tt

For sure, I hunted fresh with my Garrett Sea Hunter 2.
I also used it at lake Tahoe in black sand, and it worked very well.

For sure, I hunted fresh with my Garrett Sea Hunter 2.
I also used it at lake Tahoe in black sand, and it worked very well.

In fresh water I occasionally use my MX Sport in “Prospecting Mode” with the 7” Detect DD coil to get gold necklaces and earrings others miss. However, after today I think PI detectors can do better. 👍🏻

If you decide to go the magnet route do yourself a favor and make them easy to replace. Every magnet I ever had rusted and deteriorated quickly from the salt water.

I have had great success at fresh water beaches with the TDI BH, GB off, gain max, threshold a hum and dig any sound you hear even the one way targets you will be surprised at what you find, make sure you recheck your hole after you get the target out.

In fresh water I occasionally use my MX Sport in “Prospecting Mode” with the 7” Detect DD coil to get gold necklaces and earrings others miss. However, after today I think PI detectors can do better. 👍🏻

A while ago I saw a test video with various detectors and my sea hunter2 was one of them that missed gold chains😬 but most miss those anyhow.

I have had great success at fresh water beaches with the TDI BH, GB off, gain max, threshold a hum and dig any sound you hear even the one way targets you will be surprised at what you find, make sure you recheck your hole after you get the target out.

Thanks for the info Jim53. I used those settings for a while when I went out yesterday but was concerned the they were too hot. Next time I’ll run just run it as you suggest and see what happens. Are you in an area where the guys come out with metal detector everyday? Does the TDI give you an edge? Tt

A while ago I saw a test video with various detectors and my sea hunter2 was one of them that missed gold chains😬 but most miss those anyhow.

Thanks Metal Addict, I think gold chains are the toughest. Using Prospecting Mode in my MX Sport allowed me to pull fine gold necklaces and earrings that others missed. However, I really think the chains were detected by the claps. I don’t know if the dual field PI will do any better, but I’m willing to try. 😊 Tt

Thanks for the info Jim53. Are you in an area where the guys come out with metal detector everyday? Does the TDI give you an edge? Tt
When I drive out my driveway I can look across the lake and see the beach, So I am my own competition. I see and hear about others detecting this beach. I have never seen anyone there with a PI. I swam there 50 years ago and my uncle has swam there 75 years ago. I know where the older section of the beach is. I have searched it with every detector I have owned since the 70s. I never found as much deep gold and silver until I got an Infinium with the large mono coil. I thought that I had cleaned the 50 ft x 25 ft area of all targets, when I got the TDI I hit the same area and got this........

There is no way I missed these I just could not get down deep enough to them.

Since then I have taken 5 gold from here with the TDI 4 deep 1 fresh drop.

You tell me If there is an edge..

Attachments

• ScreenHunter 47.jpg
    ScreenHunter 47.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 299
"I don’t know if the dual field PI will do any better, but I’m willing to try."
The Dual Field is not a very good detector for gold chains. My TDI will detect gold chains that my DF can't see but my Nox is best for chains. I use my Equinox in fresh water and the TDI at the beach. :yes:

When I drive out my driveway I can look across the lake and see the beach, So I am my own competition. I see and hear about others detecting this beach. I have never seen anyone there with a PI. I swam there 50 years ago and my uncle has swam there 75 years ago. I know where the older section of the beach is. I have searched it with every detector I have owned since the 70s. I never found as much deep gold and silver until I got an Infinium with the large mono coil. I thought that I had cleaned the 50 ft x 25 ft area of all targets, when I got the TDI I hit the same area and got this........

There is no way I missed these I just could not get down deep enough to them.

Since then I have taken 5 gold from here with the TDI 4 deep 1 fresh drop.

You tell me If there is an edge..

I’d say the TDI has given you an edge! It’s easy to see those rings have been in the lake a long time. This is quite exciting for me because I bought the machine for saltwater beaches, but it’s clearly good for fresh water lakes too. Thanks Jim53! 👍🏻

"I don’t know if the dual field PI will do any better, but I’m willing to try."
The Dual Field is not a very good detector for gold chains. My TDI will detect gold chains that my DF can't see but my Nox is best for chains. I use my Equinox in fresh water and the TDI at the beach. :yes:

Thanks Compass,
I really bought the TDI for saltwater beaches because of it’s ability to go deep. But I’ll use it occasionally on “hunted out” fresh water beaches too. Tt

If only you could buy a TDI BH and get it serviced if it breaks.
Any update on the whites situation?

If it breaks you sell it to me really cheap. I’d love to try one of these.

Back
Top Bottom