Cell Phone EMI?

kweis

Elite Member
Never thought much about this until I saw a utube video raising concerns of cell phone interference with the detectors. So with that said, has anyone noticed cell phone interference with they're detectors and how so. Now that I'm thinking about it think I'll just turn it off while detecting. All thoughts welcomed.

I have both the nox 800 and the AT PRO. I keep my phone in my leg cargo pocket in my pants. I also have a Garmin 64st slung from my backpack strap. I have never, ever, had an issue with emi from the phone or gps.

Never encountered it with any of VLF's, but the cell does interfere with PI GPX's. Just a little annoying noise in the background but it didn't hurt the performance of the detector. When I need to carry the cell I put my phone in airplane mode no matter what detector I'm swinging.

I had an Ace 350 when I started out and it would get static in it when my cell would ring or get texts. My ATP doesn’t seem to have problems.

Never thought much about this until I saw a utube video raising concerns of cell phone interference with the detectors. So with that said, has anyone noticed cell phone interference with they're detectors and how so. Now that I'm thinking about it think I'll just turn it off while detecting. All thoughts welcomed.

I wish I could just turn mine off while detecting, but not out of concern for interference - I just sometimes miss those days back in the 1900s (sounds so long ago, doesn’t it? :lol:) when no one could expect to contact you once you left the house! I essentially work remotely (not just a pandemic thing - it’s the way my current job has always been). The nature of my work allows me plenty of free time to detect, but during business hours during the week, I'm expected to answer the phone if work calls...so the phone's gotta be on, or I can't hunt during the week!

I always have my phone with me and I keep it in a leg pocket of my swing arm side. I'm always wearing either cargo pants or carpenter style jeans, so the phone rides about halfway down my thigh in those side pockets. I personally have seen no difference whatsoever in detector performance whether I hunt with the phone on or off, for any brand or model detector and phone combination I’ve used.

However, there are videos which clearly demonstrate a problem with certain phone and/or detector combinations. The problem may be with certain phones which are generating spurious, out-of-band transmissions. Here’s a thread I created a couple years ago addressing the issue, and of particular interest are post #20 and #22 by JoeinMO:

Cell Phone/Network and Equinox Compatibility

I've only taken my nox 800 out a few times. the second time I was out the machine started beeping and acting weird. I thought I needed to retune it because of ground conditions but then I noticed my back pocket was vibrating. Turns out my phone was on silence and I was getting a call. I was on Beach 1 factory settings.

Yes, keep my cell phone in my back pocket, opposite the detector and turn on airplane mode. When you pass someone talking, their cell phone has an effect too. HH

I carry my cell in my shirt pocket. Have never had a problem with either of my Minelab detectors. However there is one city park that half the park is EMI central. I have tried with three different detectors and EMI is terrible.

I had issues maybe 7 years ago, with an iPhone ?4? and a Fisher F2. When a call or text came in. Relocating the phone to a back pocket resolved it enough to keep swinging.

Haven't noticed any issues with F75 or 'Nox but I've switched a few phones, and gone Android since then, too. I still try to keep the phone in a back pocket away from the detector, though.

In areas that have poor cell service or in questionable, potentially dangerous areas we bring the little family frs/gmrs walkie-talkie radios. These however cause EMI/RFI interference on all of the metal detectors I've used. Still searching for a solution

I have not noticed cell EMI problems with my Equinox 800. My 800 has terrible EMI issues, but it's not from cell phones it's electrical. I can point it at transformers and electrical lines in some places and it's ridiculous. Some of my best spots in town have bad EMI. It's beyond annoying. As much as I hate dropping the sensitivity down below 20 I sometimes have to lower to like 15 just to be able to detect in these spots. I do multiple noise cancels, but it does not help one bit!

I might add my Nokta Impact had the same issues with EMI so it's not just the Equinox.

Back
Top Bottom