Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Lost and Found

Old 12-19-2020, 11:42 PM

Default Lost in Ponte Vedra Beach dunes

Gold/opal ring, watch and another ring. If found, notify MarleneDryden here. Thank you!

Old 12-20-2020, 09:30 AM
Supporter

If you actually lost it in the dunes it might be off limits to detecting .

Fisher F4 , Bountyhunter Treker IV ,BH discovery 3300, Whites TRX pinpointer, finds mostly clad nothing worth posting , just retired at the end of 2017 ,so hope I can spend a lot more time detecting in the future. Collect Philippines coins as a hobby

Old 12-23-2020, 02:34 AM
Elite Member

Yep. Itís against the law for anybody to metal detect in the Florida dunes. The penalties can be severe.

Second, itís against the law for YOU to be in the dunes. You got off easy.

Third of all, do you realize what a challenge you threw out for anybody willing to help you? How long do the dunes run? How deep are they side to side? Imagine the effort it would require going up and down that soft sand.

Yesterday I was asked to look for a lost gold cross. The owner lost it while on a 9 mile jog. The momentum that cross would have had could easily cover up to a 50í range. Multiply that by 9 miles and it would take 3+ days to cover the area.

Sorry but I have other things to do.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:09 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Chipk View post
Yep. Itís against the law for anybody to metal detect in the Florida dunes. The penalties can be severe.

Second, itís against the law for YOU to be in the dunes. You got off easy.

Third of all, do you realize what a challenge you threw out for anybody willing to help you? How long do the dunes run? How deep are they side to side? Imagine the effort it would require going up and down that soft sand.

Yesterday I was asked to look for a lost gold cross. The owner lost it while on a 9 mile jog. The momentum that cross would have had could easily cover up to a 50í range. Multiply that by 9 miles and it would take 3+ days to cover the area.

Sorry but I have other things to do.
I think that is the beach i visited last trip or near it and had signs up saying to stay off the dunes and had a planked trail to get from the parking lot to the beach so you didn't walk on the dunes.

Fisher F4 , Bountyhunter Treker IV ,BH discovery 3300, Whites TRX pinpointer, finds mostly clad nothing worth posting , just retired at the end of 2017 ,so hope I can spend a lot more time detecting in the future. Collect Philippines coins as a hobby

Old 12-23-2020, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by davidlhyde63366 View post
I think that is the beach i visited last trip or near it and had signs up saying to stay off the dunes and had a planked trail to get from the parking lot to the beach so you didn't walk on the dunes.
Yeah, and it's not just authorities being jerks because they can. One person walking can tear up enough roots to kill the oats and grass in that spot, which gives enough exposure that a little wind or water can cut a swath through the dune. Once that happens, it's a fight between how fast the flora can grow back versus how much the dunes weather until there is no more dune to weather down. Staying off the dunes is a pretty big deal in many places.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:17 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by davidlhyde63366 View post
This is the case with ALOT of beaches, kind of common knowledge to stay off the dunes... not to mention, you could find yourself in some trouble when you go back and look for the lost items. Good luck finding your lost items OP!

☆Oldest Coin FTY:1884 IHP☆

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:56 PM
Supporter

Welcome to the forum Marlene! From West Michigan!