New to Forum

Deb in Texas

I'm new to this forum and just have a couple of questions. I inherited my dad's metal detector (his favorite hobby) when he passed a few years back. Recently I thought I'd try it out and I was immediately hooked. It's an inexpensive detector but finds coins and can tabs really well (nice clear signals). :)

My questions are...#1 Where is it illegal to use a detector? I heard national parks, but what about state parks? #2 I'm going to buy a pinpoint probe and would like to know which is best...Garrett or Detectorpro Pistol probe? Any replies would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Deb in Texas

For state parks it depends on your state! I know in NJ it is. I personally just bought a Garret as I've heard they and the Pistol Probe are the best. Garret is cheaper though and has just as many fantastic reviews! Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard Deb, and welcome to the 'sweet addiction'. Best bet for checking out permissable areas is to contact a local MD club.... they would have all the information. I favor the Pistol Probe myself... many like the Garrett as well. Good luck, RickO

I used to live in Corpus Christi, and there, they have certain areas that's off limits. If your town is big enough that it has a city website, you might find what you're looking for there.
:welcome2: Welcome to the forum from Vancouver, WA.:goodluck:

Welcome aboard from Ennis, Tx. Great to have you with us. We will be looking forward to seeing some of those finds soon. Good luck and happy hunting to you.

Welcome from NE Texas ... All State Parks in Texas are strictly off limits to metal detecting. They can confiscate your detector and equipment if you are caught. I wouldn't chance it.

Deb,

State Parks are off limits in Texas. A state park is clearly defined by the brown signs with yellow writing on them and are operated by the Parks and Wildlife Dept. Any piece of land or property with this sign on it should persuade you NOT to take a metal detector on the grounds. You'll lose it and be fined.

There are several of these in the South Padre area and they even exist at inland lakes. For example, I found a real nice swimming area at a park here in North Texas. Problem is, it is a state park. I can't hunt the sand or beach or anywhere within this park however, I can hunt in the water with the permission of the US Corps. Of Engineers. They'll assign a permit. In fact, to use a detector in any area operated by the US Corps. of Engineers, you must get a permit. So you have two entities to deal with. The State Feds and the US Feds. Most man made lakes in Texas, which they all are with the exception of Lake Caddo, have areas designated by the US Corps of Engineers.

Lake Lewsiville, for example, has both municipally operated parks and Corps of Engineer parks.

I have been greeted by park employees on several occasions. They always ask what I find. I show them a huge bag of aluminum and iron trash and then present them with coins and lead weights. On a few occasions, we were either on the beach or pretty close to it and they had looked over my shoulder looking for damage. Naturally, there was none. They invited me back.

As for cities go, I have not yet run into a city that has anti metal detecting rules in place however, it doesn't hurt to look at municipal websites within their parks and sports complex rules and regulations.

"Knowing before going" is the best ammunition. Be prepared to support your actions when challenged.

$0.02

Coolwhips :cool:

Thanks guys!

Thanks for all the 'welcomes' and especially the info on state parks. I will NOT go into a state park with my detector. Was thinking about San Jacinto Battleground (out of Pasadena), but I found out any battle grounds are off limits too. I've been detecting in my back yard (neighborhood has only been here since 2000) and have found lots of dimes, a few quarters, nickles and pennies...but nothing old. Hey...it's a beginning. Now that I've got the bug, I plan to hunt where I can. Looking for that first ring. :)

Deb

Welcome from west Texas. Hunting private property with permission is a really good way to go if you live in a heavily restricted area. There are many post on this forum on getting permission and research on finding the owners. Good luck with your new hobby. HH

Welcome to the forum from Miami, FL. I am very new to MDing and do not want to misslead you with wrong information. However, of all the replies I have read, Coolwhips has given you the best. HH. Squareman

Back
Top Bottom