2019...Craptastic stuff I found!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Probably hunted less this year than any other year since I started in 2010.
Life stuff, maybe a bit of laziness, definitely the long hot summer because I just don't like to deal with the heat anymore and I lost all patience in trying to dig in the cement hard clay filled dirt.
Plus I sure didn't want to ruin sites and lawns with nice grass because it is hard not to do that around here with even small holes in drought conditions.
I doubt I hunted even 4 days after the major heat came in and didn't go out again until it left.
Still, not a bad year despite the lower volume.
You know me, the finds don't matter as much to me as just getting out and enjoying myself.
Also I was futzing around with all the settings on my Nox most of the year trying to get it to enjoy hunting around here in my strange and challenging devil dirt.
I always dig less when I am trying to learn new detectors but I think we made a lot of progress in the time we spent together this season.

I am actually pretty satisfied with my total treasure found in 2019 so here it is...

Clad...
$43 or so, a lot more than I thought I dug and looking at the pic thinking almost every one of those coins was a hole I dug so now my back hurts.
Plus the too many totaled zincolns I already culled from that pile.

user10659_pic81308_1577911852.jpg

Junk...
Interesting stuff but worthless and yet every one COULD have been something better so I don't mind expending the effort.
I save the lighters because I take them apart and put the flints in my Zippos.
I haven't spent money on flints for several years, now.

user10659_pic81309_1577924506.jpg

Something very interesting...
My first cigarette case.
A huge signal I thought was garbage and I only dug it to get it out of the way to see if it was masking something better.
Almost threw it in my trash pouch but I rubbed on it a little and saw something etched in one side.
Cleaning it at home I see a map of New Jersey and a little research tells me etching was a popular thing they did on some of them when these things were popular.
It was crushed and I didn't think it was thick enough to be a cigarette case but several members here insisted it was and as usual they were correct so...thanks!

user10659_pic80186_1553434299 (1).jpg
user10659_pic80184_1553434221.jpg

Interesting thing #2...
Just a busted cheap watch but I saw something inside and dump out the dirt and see...Washington?
Turns out this is a really cheap quartz watch sold with a gimmick, they drilled out the middle of a real quarter and used it as the dial face.
Money inside a timepiece...I am leaving it just the way I found it because I don't need the quarter and since I have never seen anyone else post a find like this before I am believing I am the only person in the world that has ever dug one.
My story and sticking to it, anyway.

2019-07-04 10.23.30.jpg
m_5d0566866a7fbad4dc947d95 (1).jpg

Junk jewelry...

user10659_pic81307_1577911728.jpg

Good jewelry...
Only 2 but they were great in my mind.
A huge, thick, heavy 11g silver ring that fits me perfectly.
I wear it from time to time but lifting and waving this thing around during the day tires me out.

2019-06-08 17.01.20.jpg

Finally got some GOLD...sorta.
This was a surprise...an old photo locket.
Thought it was brass but it cleaned off nicely and it took awhile to finally notice the letters on the inside.

1/20 10K ON STERLING

Turns out it is really a tiny piece of vintage art and I think pretty old like over 100 years old.
Sterling coated with gold and I believe those leaves aren't plated but solid little pieces of 10k gold.
I think the gems might be peridot.
Jumpy on the Nox, lower to mid 20's and even into the low 30's, honestly the only reason I went after it was because I had all those numbers set to the highest tone setting and like Pavlov's dog I had no choice and automatically had to dig it.
Very glad I did.

user10659_pic80981_1572281969 (2).jpg
Inside.jpg
Art (1).jpg

My best coins...
A group picture.
Every one was dug in either "hunted out" public parks or in lawns I have hunted more times than I can count with more detectors and coils than I can barely count.
Each one was worth like 20 silver coins to me since masking issues makes things like these so hard to find in my soil.
For the Nox it was fairly easy, all the coins and most of the other stuff in the pictures above were found by the Nox except the one war nickel that was found just the other day when I felt like breaking out the F70.
If I only dug just that Walker half that would have made my year so all the others were just bonuses.

user10659_pic81306_1577911078.jpg

Also this Susan B. Anthony dollar coin, one of the most hated coins ever minted because of their size and silver color so 90% of the population thought they were quarters.
I have dug plenty of the later, gold colored dollar coins but very few of these.

user10659_pic79020_1540155828.jpg

So not a bad year.
I am thinking, hoping, the roaring 20's will be even better.
Happy New Year, everyone...May this year be the best year for all of us!

Last edited:
Nice year end summary. Not everything has to be about piles of silver. Hopefully lots of other people share their 2019 wrap ups, too.

You had a dream year compared to me !
Pain is now my life until I get surgery. I feel a little better out hunting. I was out in freezing ice cold water twice last week and I felt a little better.
MD is cheaper then a Dr for lots out there.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

You had a dream year compared to me !
Pain is now my life until I get surgery. I feel a little better out hunting. I was out in freezing ice cold water twice last week and I felt a little better.
MD is cheaper then a Dr for lots out there.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Sorry about your pain.
Nice that even a little hunting is a good form of therapy for you.
Hope you feel better soon.

A matter of limited opportunity David, but what you did with the time you spent made this report is very impressive. Congrats on some very fine digging in 2019. Still I hope this goes even better for you in the new year. Trapper

Time well spent! I don’t enjoy the heat either so I can understand the seasonal perspective. Still a good year for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom