• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Garrett Z-Lync Review

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
So... once I decided paying off the truck was more important than getting a Garrett AT MAX (Truck is paid off 8 months early! woot!), I started browsing smaller additions to my Garrett AT Pro.

I was seriously considering getting a Garrett Z-Lync system, but at $127, I wasn't sure I wanted to commit that much money to a solution I wasn't sure would really be THAAAT worth the investment.

The more I thought about it, though, the more I realized that $127 was actually cheaper than the headphones I'd purchased (Gray Ghost Amphibians), and about the same as a new coil... PLUS, I'd actually gone through FOUR Koss volume control units over the last year, as I matched it with my Apple earbuds. Without volume control the sound just BLASTS through the system. The Koss solution worked, but it was a long cord, and typically would get hung up a couple of times a hunt. No big deal for me, or so I thought.

When I went to buy some more Koss in-line volume control, I noted the price had jumped from $4.90 to $10-15!! At that point, buying a couple of them was a setback that didn't seem "smart," at all.

So, I started looking at the Z-Lync again... and joyously discovered that the Z-Lync solution has VOLUME control on the receiver! Hmmm... But was I sold yet? Nope... $127 was still plenty steep.

BUT... Knowing I had Paypal credit, I could get the $127 and have 6 months to pay them off... So I headed over to EBay to do some more "considering."

Low and BEHOLD... a Garrett Z-Lync system was up for sale "used" for $87, shipped. It had been posted less than 12 hours prior.

$87?? That's $40 cheaper than the NEW headset... And the listing said something like, "used them once, wasn't for me."

Hmmm... Click. Buy it now.

They arrived a few days later in a Priority mail box, all cushioned nicely in the black case. I also ordered a Z-Lync cable connector for the AT Pro (I had a 1/4" jack connector, but wanted to reduce the profile and weight... plus I had some credit on Amazon.com).

I charged the system overnight with the supplied micro USB cables, and then connected it up on the AT Pro. Was installed in less than a minute. Very easy.

It connected up just fine with the 1/4" adapter, and I played with turning it on and off. Pretty easy to do. Press the transceiver button, press the receiver button. Adjusted volume control with them OUT of my ears first, then tested the solution to see if it would RETAIN the volume setting. YES!

Easy turn on, too (once connected to the AT Pro, you turn the AT Pro on, and your Z-Lync transceiver auto boots).. Just press the receiver button after turning on your AT Pro. Two button presses to turn on (Metal Detector, and Receiver) Super easy!

Put the Apple earbuds in my ears, threw a few coins down, and started detecting in the yard. WHOA. The Sound is BETTER than going through the KOSS solution. The earbuds actually sound just as good as the SoundMaster solution from Garrett in my opinion. WELL DONE Z-Lync!

But I didn't want to just post a thread about my "connection" experience. I wanted a good 5 hours in the field first. It's now been closer to 10.

I have to say, hands down, I LOVE the wireless solution. I really didn't realize how much the cord got in the way until it was no longer in the way. Even the detector feels "lighter" than when it's connected to the bungie cord of the Gray Ghosts. Less resistance without that coiled cable I guess.

I simply clipped the receiver on my Garrett pouch belt (left side, to avoid the cable crossing my body), and presto, I was off.

It's FANTASTIC. Knowing now what I do now, I would have purchased at the full $127.

I love the solution, and am totally thrilled with it. The stand-alone Z-Lync has got to be SO Much better than the AT Max solution, because I can use them with ANY headphone or earbud (I have a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter on the receiver). The AT Max, you're stuck with the supplied full coverage earphones, which are sweaty, hot, and sticky in 90 degree weather... no thanks... its why I went to earbuds.

So..

Volume control that is "sticky" on settings - YES
FAST Turn-on - YES
Is being "untethered" worth it? - YES
Sound quality - YES YES YES!
Happy with purchase? YES!

Cheers,

Skippy

The receiver portion will connect with the ATMax's built-in transmitter, so you'll still be able to use whichever headphones you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The receiver portion will connect with the ATMax's built-in transmitter, so you'll still be able to use whichever headphones you like.

good review but that is what I was thinking also Clay. I like full cup hps anyway though.
I wish my max would hurry up and get here. I'm not the most patient:laughing:

Does the AT Max come with a receiver? I thought the receiver was built in the headphones...

I can see that you could sync any receiver with the main unit, but if they don't supply a receiver with the AT Max (just one in the headset), then it's still an aftermarket acquisition.

Skippy

Dbut if they don't supply a receiver with the AT Max (just one in the headset), then it's still an aftermarket acquisition.

Skippy

Well yeah. You don't think that was accidental, do you?

Well yeah. You don't think that was accidental, do you?

Nope.. Not at all. But my point here, is that if you're buying the AT Max for the Z-Lync, you're going to be STUCK with the headphones they provide, unless you go buy another Z-Lync system... and funny thing is, I cannot find a "receiver only" solution out there, you've got to buy the whole package.

I doubt that's an accident. I really like the Z-lync solution, but I realize now that I'd have been VERY unhappy with the AT Max Z-lync because I don't want to have to use cup headphones.

Cup headphones don't work well with wide brimmed hats, they give me nasty tan lines, and they're hot as snot in the summer sun. I cannot stand "dripping sweat" in my ear cups. Nasty.

The Z-Lync is AWESOME for connecting a set of earbuds. I cannot believe how much I love it. But wow... I sure dodged a bullet with the AT Max setup. really wouldn't have given me anything over my AT Pro for how I detect. Backlight? I have a cap light.

Cheers!

Skippy

Nope.. Not at all. But my point here, is that if you're buying the AT Max for the Z-Lync, you're going to be STUCK with the headphones they provide, unless you go buy another Z-Lync system... and funny thing is, I cannot find a "receiver only" solution out there, you've got to buy the whole package.

It hasn't been announced yet, but there are plans for Garrett to start selling both parts separately, as well as a version of the system that include the AT proprietary headphone adapter.

You can also create your own version of the Z-Lynk system for about half the price with a couple of these things:

TaoTronics Bluetooth 4.1 Transmitter / Receiver, Wireless 3.5mm Audio Adapter (aptX Low Latency, Pair 2 At Once, For TV / Car Sound System, Volume Control) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IV1H1ME/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_J3gjzbBV13DGS

Last edited:
It hasn't been announced yet, but there are plans for Garrett to start selling both parts separately, as well as a version of the system that include the AT proprietary headphone adapter.

Ahh... Smart. That'll be a much better selling point. The AT headphone adapter wasn't a big deal for me. I had the original one that allowed me to drop a 1/4" plug into it. It worked fine, until my Micro USB connector (with AT Pro plug on the unit side) came in. It works fine too, but is "slightly" lighter, which is why I bought it. It also seriously unclutters the area in front of the unit. I probably didn't need to buy it (in fact, I wouldn't recommend it to folks if they already have the 1/4" AT adapter, but I had some credit on Amazon, and was like, "why not!")

:)

I doubt that's an accident. I really like the Z-lync solution, but I realize now that I'd have been VERY unhappy with the AT Max Z-lync because I don't want to have to use cup headphones.

Cup headphones don't work well with wide brimmed hats, they give me nasty tan lines, and they're hot as snot in the summer sun. I cannot stand "dripping sweat" in my ear cups. Nasty.

The Z-Lync is AWESOME for connecting a set of earbuds. I cannot believe how much I love it. But wow... I sure dodged a bullet with the AT Max setup. really wouldn't have given me anything over my AT Pro for how I detect. Backlight? I have a cap light.

Cheers!

Skippy

sure there is. its msrp is $74.95 so real world price is probably areound $60

NEW! Garrett WR-1 Wireless Receiver
PN: 1627600.....MSRP: $74.95 (U.S.)

Includes:
WR-1 wireless receiver
One USB charging cable
Note: WR-1 Receiver requires use of headphones with 1/4" headphone jack connector.

and for anyone who buys an atmax and wants to use the ws3 headphones with another machine they can buy just the transmitter

NEW! Garrett WT-1 Wireless Transmitter
PN: 1627500.....MSRP: $74.95 (U.S.)

Includes:
WT-1 wireless transmitter
One USB charging cable
1/4" headphone jack cable
Mounting band

sure there is. its msrp is $74.95 so real world price is probably areound $60

NEW! Garrett WR-1 Wireless Receiver
PN: 1627600.....MSRP: $74.95 (U.S.)

Includes:
WR-1 wireless receiver
One USB charging cable
Note: WR-1 Receiver requires use of headphones with 1/4" headphone jack connector.

and for anyone who buys an atmax and wants to use the ws3 headphones with another machine they can buy just the transmitter

NEW! Garrett WT-1 Wireless Transmitter
PN: 1627500.....MSRP: $74.95 (U.S.)

Includes:
WT-1 wireless transmitter
One USB charging cable
1/4" headphone jack cable
Mounting band

ooh! Great info! Thanks for sharing. :)

This, of course, means that I could get the headphones for my transmitter, too... for winter or cold weather hunting. Would keep from having to "switch out" the solution on the AT Pro. Just re-sync to a new device. Cool!

Cheers,

Skippy

ooh! Great info! Thanks for sharing. :)

This, of course, means that I could get the headphones for my transmitter, too... for winter or cold weather hunting. Would keep from having to "switch out" the solution on the AT Pro. Just re-sync to a new device. Cool!

Cheers,

Skippy

Absolutely!

good review

So... once I decided paying off the truck was more important than getting a Garrett AT MAX (Truck is paid off 8 months early! woot!), I started browsing smaller additions to my Garrett AT Pro.

I was seriously considering getting a Garrett Z-Lync system, but at $127, I wasn't sure I wanted to commit that much money to a solution I wasn't sure would really be THAAAT worth the investment.

The more I thought about it, though, the more I realized that $127 was actually cheaper than the headphones I'd purchased (Gray Ghost Amphibians), and about the same as a new coil... PLUS, I'd actually gone through FOUR Koss volume control units over the last year, as I matched it with my Apple earbuds. Without volume control the sound just BLASTS through the system. The Koss solution worked, but it was a long cord, and typically would get hung up a couple of times a hunt. No big deal for me, or so I thought.

When I went to buy some more Koss in-line volume control, I noted the price had jumped from $4.90 to $10-15!! At that point, buying a couple of them was a setback that didn't seem "smart," at all.

So, I started looking at the Z-Lync again... and joyously discovered that the Z-Lync solution has VOLUME control on the receiver! Hmmm... But was I sold yet? Nope... $127 was still plenty steep.

BUT... Knowing I had Paypal credit, I could get the $127 and have 6 months to pay them off... So I headed over to EBay to do some more "considering."

Low and BEHOLD... a Garrett Z-Lync system was up for sale "used" for $87, shipped. It had been posted less than 12 hours prior.

$87?? That's $40 cheaper than the NEW headset... And the listing said something like, "used them once, wasn't for me."

Hmmm... Click. Buy it now.

They arrived a few days later in a Priority mail box, all cushioned nicely in the black case. I also ordered a Z-Lync cable connector for the AT Pro (I had a 1/4" jack connector, but wanted to reduce the profile and weight... plus I had some credit on Amazon.com).

I charged the system overnight with the supplied micro USB cables, and then connected it up on the AT Pro. Was installed in less than a minute. Very easy.

It connected up just fine with the 1/4" adapter, and I played with turning it on and off. Pretty easy to do. Press the transceiver button, press the receiver button. Adjusted volume control with them OUT of my ears first, then tested the solution to see if it would RETAIN the volume setting. YES!

Easy turn on, too (once connected to the AT Pro, you turn the AT Pro on, and your Z-Lync transceiver auto boots).. Just press the receiver button after turning on your AT Pro. Two button presses to turn on (Metal Detector, and Receiver) Super easy!

Put the Apple earbuds in my ears, threw a few coins down, and started detecting in the yard. WHOA. The Sound is BETTER than going through the KOSS solution. The earbuds actually sound just as good as the SoundMaster solution from Garrett in my opinion. WELL DONE Z-Lync!

But I didn't want to just post a thread about my "connection" experience. I wanted a good 5 hours in the field first. It's now been closer to 10.

I have to say, hands down, I LOVE the wireless solution. I really didn't realize how much the cord got in the way until it was no longer in the way. Even the detector feels "lighter" than when it's connected to the bungie cord of the Gray Ghosts. Less resistance without that coiled cable I guess.

I simply clipped the receiver on my Garrett pouch belt (left side, to avoid the cable crossing my body), and presto, I was off.

It's FANTASTIC. Knowing now what I do now, I would have purchased at the full $127.

I love the solution, and am totally thrilled with it. The stand-alone Z-Lync has got to be SO Much better than the AT Max solution, because I can use them with ANY headphone or earbud (I have a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter on the receiver). The AT Max, you're stuck with the supplied full coverage earphones, which are sweaty, hot, and sticky in 90 degree weather... no thanks... its why I went to earbuds.

So..

Volume control that is "sticky" on settings - YES
FAST Turn-on - YES
Is being "untethered" worth it? - YES
Sound quality - YES YES YES!
Happy with purchase? YES!

Cheers,

Skippy

Was looking in to a wireless set up for my Fisher F4 might be just what I need.

Back
Top Bottom