Happy New Year Hunt!

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
The weather was amazing for early January here in Ohio yesterday - temps peaked at around 50°, so I jumped at the opportunity to get a head start on 2020. Kids are still home from school, and my wife is off from work, so I had to negotiate for a mere couple hours of detecting time. Since time was short, I figured I better not waste time driving, and just hit the field literally in my back yard. The field held a former home site that shows on the 1886 map for the area, but the site is slated to be developed into a housing development, so my hunt time there is getting short in more ways than one!

I strapped on my gear, started swinging, and soon got over an iffy high tone with some depth. Mostly 25-26 VDI (EQ800), but bouncing some sporadic 21-24 numbers into the mix with that flutey twang that told me not to get my hopes up. I went after it, and a full 6-7” down I got my reward...my first official dig of 2020 was an old Pepsi can :roll:

A few minutes later, I got a solid 14 all the way around the target, which turned out to be a Winchester Blue Rival shotshell headstamp which dates to 1894-1904. “Ok”, I thought, “that’s a little better than Pepsi, at least!”

Third time was the charm, though...got over another jumpy high tone with depth, scattered between 25-32, but this time it sounded more like a coin - none of the flutiness of junk. My experience has been this type of signal on the EQ ends up being a Wheat, but I was hoping for silver. Instead I was thrilled to see Big Green roll out of the dirt I brought up from about 6” down!!

7D2EB4F9-BFF1-4B34-8F14-542855C458DE.jpg

844498CE-9FE2-4BC4-863D-AFB3626993C8.jpg

Less than 15 minutes later, I hit the next diggable target. Mostly showing 21-22 on the VDI, although it occasionally blipped higher, and depth was indicating 6-8”. I was honestly thinking Indian, when instead...”Are you kidding me?!?” Another large green coin peeking out from the plug!! I’m really not sure why it rang so low in the ground. I couldn’t find anything else in the hole that I could say was mucking up the signal...maybe it was on edge?? :?: Out of the ground it rang the standard 32-33.

6E3AB95A-CCB0-4F34-9299-D6DE8180327E.jpg

C25E91DD-1671-4A4A-A988-050C96C9B63C.jpg

I’ve never found two Large Cents on the same hunt before, let alone on back-to-back digs...I was flat-out stunned! It’s kind of funny - only a couple days into the new year, and I’ve already got my Large Cent total from last year beat :lol: Hopefully that’s a good sign for the year ahead!! :yes:

B2B7D5E7-344F-4900-87C3-9700138853F2.jpg

I finished out the hunt with a pair of Indians, 1866 (below) and a super crusty 1892, another shotshell (Winchester Repeater), a button, and the requisite trash.

85CD9E96-29A4-4809-AAD7-7F16D4081E70.jpg

Clean up at home turned up another minor surprise...the first Large Cent was holed! As you can see in the field pics and even the pre-cleaning pics below, there was no real indication that the coin had a hole in it. Unfortunately, the date is completely missing on that one - almost to the point that I wonder if it wasn’t intentionally removed...hard to believe all the stars survived, but nothing of the date is visible. Judging by the reverse design, I’m pretty sure it’s an 1843-1857 variety. The second one dug was a nicely detailed 1851.

Attachments

• F854FC0A-C554-4965-B475-2D80987BC922.jpg
    F854FC0A-C554-4965-B475-2D80987BC922.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 253
  • 760A527A-2470-466A-9D09-652B4F05F001.jpg
    760A527A-2470-466A-9D09-652B4F05F001.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 199
  • 309A7560-D9E3-4461-8660-888613846E84.jpg
    309A7560-D9E3-4461-8660-888613846E84.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 198
  • A66D20C4-48FE-48F8-9BDF-5C59B2C5B30D.jpg
    A66D20C4-48FE-48F8-9BDF-5C59B2C5B30D.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 179
  • E8847106-0E6C-4A11-AD96-521B13B51FC7.jpg
    E8847106-0E6C-4A11-AD96-521B13B51FC7.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 184
Good job! I was waiting for you to post them up. It is definitely amazing to be able to be in northwest Ohio the first week of January and still digging.
Your time out this week was much more productive than mine. I ended up with a 1940 something wheat, and a top of a two-piece button which has been posted over on ID me. Keep up the good work I hope to see you hit multiple bucket lister's this year.

A great start for sure Ben. Congrats on the two Largie's and also the two Indians. Now if that can only could have been something..... :yes:. Trapper

Good you are hitting that 'to be developed' site.
Great finds to start the year.

Of course Tom is goin' flip again since that makes 4 LC's from us east coast guys within the first few days of 2020.

Congrats on the coppers! Those farm fields sure are a great place to find them. A nice early injun to boot. Off to a great start on the year! :goodjob:

Good job! I was waiting for you to post them up. It is definitely amazing to be able to be in northwest Ohio the first week of January and still digging.
Your time out this week was much more productive than mine. I ended up with a 1940 something wheat, and a top of a two-piece button which has been posted over on ID me. Keep up the good work I hope to see you hit multiple bucket lister's this year.

Thanks Dan! Yep, crazy that we’re still able to dig fields here - I’m beginning to wonder if we’ll ever get a full ground freeze this year :shock:

And judging by your text this past weekend, your hunts are definitely becoming much more productive! Big, old silver and a Largie of your own!

Wholey frijoles, two LC’s!? Awesome! Congrats on an amazing hunt to start the new year!

I love the best workmanship button too :)

A great start for sure Ben. Congrats on the two Largie's and also the two Indians. Now if that can only could have been something..... :yes:. Trapper

Thanks Trapper! I did have hopes for that can, but alas....Oh well, like I said, I knew that one was iffy, but it’s the kind of spot that you gotta dig the iffies :yes: Heck, even the Largies don’t really sound like Largies there! :lol:

Excellent pair!! (Might be surprised to know I found a large cent today; only my third ever...….thanks for the mojo)

Good you are hitting that 'to be developed' site.
Great finds to start the year.

Of course Tom is goin' flip again since that makes 4 LC's from us east coast guys within the first few days of 2020.

Thanks waltr! This relatively warm weather so far this winter is a big help to allow some extra time on that site. It’s hard to say how much time I might have left there...if city hall and planning meetings drag on at the usual snail’s pace, I might get another full season before the trackhoes show up!

I’ll take Tom’s silence so far to mean he’s smashed his computer screen and can no longer respond :lol:

Awesome start Ben, congrats on the largies and Ihps. You seem to do well with old coppers. HH Mark

Thanks Mark! Sometimes I feel like I do too well with old coppers! With my ratio of coppers to silver, I often feel like I’m just clearing out all the copper so the next guy can have an easier time harvesting all the silver I’m leaving behind :shock: :lol: :lol:

Congrats on the coppers! Those farm fields sure are a great place to find them. A nice early injun to boot. Off to a great start on the year! :goodjob:

Thanks Mason! Farm fields are definitely my favorite hunting grounds - they definitely produce my oldest finds in general. This particular spot has been great for Large Cents...I’ve gotten 3 out of there in the last two hunts at the site! And I always enjoy digging the IHPs...just beautiful coins!

Wholey frijoles, two LC’s!? Awesome! Congrats on an amazing hunt to start the new year!

I love the best workmanship button too :)

:lol::lol: Thanks Mike! I know, I couldn’t believe it either when that second one popped out, especially on back to back digs!

I thought the button was pretty neat, too. Probably almost a century younger than the Largies (I’m thinking maybe 1930s or 40s) - amazing to think about the time span of activity for the site represented by it’s finds!

Excellent pair!! (Might be surprised to know I found a large cent today; only my third ever...….thanks for the mojo)

Nice to hear I could send some large copper mojo in your direction, teotw!! Hopefully you didn’t have to drill through too much ice and snow to get to it...or has your neck of the woods stayed relatively warm, too?

Back
Top Bottom