Large hammered silver

Brian

Elite Member
Not all hammered are as thin as foil, the hammered half crown below (London Tower mint under the King) is pretty hefty being as thick as a US quarter. Date is about 1640.
Quite a bit of clipping had gone on before it was lost. Get a bag of silver coins and trim a little of the edge of each one. Money for nothing if you didn't get caught.
The silver coin (1941 25 cents) alongside is worn smooth on the reverse so if anyone can recognise what country its from I would be grateful.
The three hundred years older coin came from a depth of just over six inches (XP ADX 200) while another weak signal a few inches deeper turned out to be the modern coin. I had thought it was going to be a purse loss of several 1600 coins. Shows you should not be to greedy and depth doesn't always relate to age.

Attachments

• scan0010.jpg
    scan0010.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 190
Now thats awesome to say the least! Oh, to be in an area that would produce finds such as that............very heavy sigh. :lol:

Brian, that is some beautiful sh#$! :shock:

Thanks Voriax
Pity its mirror finish on the reverse cause the fronts pretty good.
Went really cold today...think I will have to sort out my cold weather gear.
Got a couple of hammered silver pennies today, long cross but not great condition as off wet sand BUT still have sharp, slightly turned over edges from when struck, so never in circulation. I smell a hoard !

Back
Top Bottom