No Idea

Johnnyl1

What the heck is this thing? An old buckle? Seems like it could be part of a frame? Maybe a decoration on a piece of furniture.. measures about 5" long, 3" wide....

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 300
Its a very old site... heres some more info. It is very thin, no marking on the back... is definitely not iron of any type. Also, it was totally bent in half when I found it... I tried to straighten it out a bit, and it broke in 2!!! :mad:
In a case it would look fine, but it looked like it got stepped on.

I just cant imagine it is that old... if you look in the pic on the right hand side you can see the break, looks like some type of copper or composite metal. It s very fragile.

i'd agree with jeff but its hard to tell if its a knee or shoe or other type of buckle from the picture how about a picture of the back and put something next to it to show how big it is . that would help , but it definetly looks colonial to me

Looks like a cast copper shuttle shaped buckle. Bit on the large size for a shoe buckle. Date 1720 to 1790.
The large size suggests more towards the 1790's as the Comte d' Artois started a fashion for oversized buckles in 1777.

I would say deffo a buckle,,the centre piece is missing but a very nice find.No idea on the age,,,more than likely early to mid 1800,s

Ill put some more pics up tonight... is there anyway to fix it / bond it... I am so pissed it broke, but the thing was literally bent in 1/2 and I would never be able to see any of the detail if i didnt straighten it.

I still cant believe its that old... i will photo the back also... just seems flimsy / brittle for a buckle, plus there is no curvature on it like there would be on a shoe buckle.

Where do you think it was worn? The knee?

More pics to come tonight.

Pic 1

Attachments

• item1.jpg
    item1.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 255
  • item2.jpg
    item2.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 269
rustynail1 said:
It's a picture frame.

actually, thats kind of what I was thinking it looked like to, but I dont know enough about that stuff to really say...

it still looks like a buckle but a little small for a shoe buckle but i could be wrong . on the backside is there a spot where a small hole for a iron pin to go through the middle to the other side . this pin would hold the tongue and chap for a buckle like on these ones here

Attachments

• 100_0085 few buckles 6.jpg
    100_0085 few buckles 6.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 193
Ok, here's a long shot

I'm going to suggest that it's a brooche. :shock:

I think it is too decorative to be a buckle

and too thin and small to be a frame.

I still think its a buckle,buckles from years back were very decorative but then again it could be a picture frame,,,,on third thoughts what about a brooch?,,Nope,i go for a buckle.If you look closely i think you can see where the centre cross piece was,,so its a buckle for me :yes:

Back
Top Bottom