Percent of found kept?

DenverPio

Hi folks! Hope the weekend is going well for you.

I recently spoke with a Facebook friend who has a home built in the 1940s in a very historic neighborhood. I offered my MD services to him as he mentioned that a relative had recently lost a gold class ring.

I'm planning on visiting his home in the next few weeks. If I find the ring, I will of course return it to him. If I find other silvers or coins, what's the "best practice"/protocol for keeping those or striking an agreement with the landowner? My wife is an attorney and she told me that everything I find is "strictly theirs," meaning I shouldn't expect to keep ANYTHING. Should I ask the guy to sign some sort of agreement where we split my finds, or is a handshake sufficient? I'm not trying to raid his land and keep relics, but if I find some coins or other finds in addition to the ring, I'd be interested in splitting those.

What have you all done in the past?

Thanks for your help!

For a deal like that, its best to remove your batteries, or else just push a lawn mower and make a little money mowing the yard...

I dont get this concept at all?..Hunting for free? After you paid money for your gear? Theres some skill and equipment involved here, let alone your Time!...Do NOT sell yourself short, no matter what your Wife says...(shaking head)..Feel bad for you Bro....lawyers! "if they aint getting any money, then nobody is"...friggin A...you would be way ahead just hunting a Totlot for Pennies...
Mud

I would say sure I'll help you find the ring as long as anything else I find along the way I get to keep as my fee for finding the ring

If a friend, not sure there should be a problem? I'd just search, pouch any finds, when you find the ring, celebrate, then ask if he minds you searching the rest of the property as that's what you love to do as a hobby.

Thanks for the tips, gentlemen. I agree that it should be a simple thing: no need to be signing contracts and formal agreements, but I do want to protect myself.

I wouldn't want the landowner to lawyer up and come after me for taking some clad pennies after finding his gold ring...

If the people can't let you keep what you find besides the ring, which of course would be returned they should go spend a grand on their own machine, take the time to learn to use it, practice enough to get proficient and go find their own damn ring! I can't say that any time in this hobby, or life in general, has the thought or worry of being sued crossed my mind. Must be terrible always worrying about something like that. Good luck!!

absolutely, try to find the man his ring, and all that, any good finds go in the keeper box and is none of his business, if he wants to see what else you found show him the trash and some Z-lincolns. No way would I hunt for something for someone else and turn over anything but the item I was searching for for him/her. if they think they want everything tell them to go buy and learn to use their own detector. personally I don't show anyone what I have in the pouch no matter where I am, it is simply no of their business.

Recently I received a request to look for a lost ring in a lady's backyard. I drove over an hour and found the ring pretty quickly. I was her hero.

Then Inreminded her that she had promised that I could search the rest of the yard and her attitude changed. She agreed I could hunt " as long as I didn't dig any holes!" and I was shoved out the door.

WTH?

Anyway I hunted anyway. Behind a bush I got a penny-dime signal and decided to dig it. 4inches down I found an 11" silver -gold-diamonds bracelet. Two links needed repairs. The jeweler said it was underground at least 50 years.

My wife is ecstatic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 541
Simple, you keep all coins(at least) and he can have the ring. No writing, no contracts. If you have a bad of a vibe about it then I would not go at all. Lawyers can make the most mundane things over complicated. I Better Call Saul to some door knocks with me!

I always tell the home-owner this: "What I find, I will show you. You get to pick the first item, I pick the second, you the third, I, the fourth, and so on."

HOWEVER.... if there is something I *really* want to keep... and the home-owner hasn't lost it (I always ask "what things have you lost while living here?") it goes into *another* pocket of my finds pouch! NO point in giving another person a dollar coin or a ring that he or she had NOT lost in the first place! Thait's why I say "I'll show you what I find" instead of "I'll show you *everything* that I find." :pirate:

SageGrouse

You are doing them a favor in the first place. Just make that the deal. I try to find the ring. And hopefully you will and be able to return it. But it is not unreasonable to ask and get permission to hunt the property as a return on the favor. If uncomfortable have the wife draw up a contract on her letterhead. Explain to Facebook friend that it is standard, for everyone's protection. Have you ever met this person in person before? The only problem is if you run your machine and do not find it they may think you did. But that is another can of worms.

Really don't think going onto private property, with the mindset of setting rules, and lay claim to everything found, is the best approach. Maybe, when it's a business, and the owner initiates contact, to hire your services. But this is a hobby for most of us, and it's all about having fun finding those hidden treasures. In the long run, it's best to make the experience fun and satisfying, hassle free for the homeowner. Let them share in the adventure, it's a new experience for them, so if they really enjoy it, they'll tell all their friends, family, neighbors (more potential properties to hunt, without asking). I use a 5 gallon bucket, put everything dug into it, not really cleaning anything more than needed to identify. Most people aren't interested enough to put there hand in there, to sort through twisted, rusted, dirty scraps. Just looking from a safe distance is good enough. A silver dime is worth what, maybe $1.00-2.00? Giving them something to remember the experience, would reinforce the memories. The owner is makes the rules, have to respect that, just be happy for the hunt, and anything you get to keep, is more than what you had. I'd be happy to just walk away with pictures of anything nice.

You aren't guaranteed of finding anything of value or interest on any property. You spend 10 minutes talking up all the treasure you plan on keeping, and the splitting, find nothing but trash. Wouldn't the owner tend believe you just filled your pockets? You spent time explaining the rules, gave the expectation, since you wouldn't have made them if you weren't positive it was going to be an issue.

Most any other hobby, you only put money in, get enjoyment as a reward. Just because this one returns some of your investment, shouldn't make it the focus or goal. Kind of changes the fun aspect, into more like work, or a job. I have a full time job, which is a lot of work, but pays much better, great benefits as well, like ObamaCare and a 401k...

If you know somebody with a pond and you ask if you can fish, does the pond owner get to keep the fish you catch? Thats the way I look at it...no need to fish if I have to give up the goods.

In the OP's case posted finding the ring in return for whatever coins are in found in the yard for a hunt or two is a way more than fair deal for the owner.

Metal detecting is hard work and a silver coin is worth $1.50 on average. On a real good hunt you might find one or two? An if you find a unexpected class ring with the friend's family's name on it that he forgot about the owner gets it back.

There are plenty of places to hunt for free just by door knocking. You never have to offer a cut. G4E sums it all up week on his website.

Sometimes we get so greedy don't we ? A cashe is split 50/50 dug coins have very little value as environmentally damaged .
I have never found any that I think would get a second look at a coin shop . Explain that it's a big deal to find a pre 64 dime or old penny. You can buy them for a buck or so at the coin shop . But finding them makes them priceless to you . You will be keeping them . If they wanna help I have a spare detector in the truck. That should keep them busy wile you get some work done.đź‘Ť

If you know somebody with a pond and you ask if you can fish, does the pond owner get to keep the fish you catch? Thats the way I look at it...no need to fish if I have to give up the goods.

I wouldn't expect so, but probably not a bad idea to offer the owner some anyway.

When I used to let people deer hunt on my property, I never hesitated to ask for some steaks, backstrap etc.

The way i see it, they weren't doing me any favor by me giving them permission, I was doing them a favor.

So I guess what my point is, if you're asked to help find something for someone on their land with your time and detector equipment, I think it is reasonable for you to make some arrangement on what to do with other items you find. I don't know what the terms should be, that's between the parties involved.

I do also believe it is unethical to come to an agreement with no intentions of honoring it, by putting certain found items in a special pocket of a pouch, like Sage Grouse does.

If someone comes knocking at my door looking for permission to detect, they can agree to any terms we agree on (if any), or they can move on. Once again, they aren't doing me any favors by hunting my land. I know, I know they could pick up dangerous trash etc...

I myself would get consent to search the entire property with the understanding that if the ring is found I will return it and the rest of the finds are mine.
Hell if I would bust my ass to go search for a ring without express permission to hunt the entire property.
Chances are you might find a Mercury dime and a toasted Buff and some clad!!!
I went through this about 2 years ago with some people who lost their car keys in about 3 ft of light fluffy snow with no clue of where in the yard they might be.
I asked for permission to come back in the spring and detect the property if I recovered their keys.
They told me no and then asked to barrow my metal detector !!!
Of course the answer was no you can't barrow my metal detector maybe you should buy one.
Long story short Mrs. Soccer Mom and her Yuppy husband had already lost the first set and now the second set is lost.
The best part is that they were chip keys and expensive to replace because the chip in the key must match up with the computer in the vehicle.
They found the keys in the spring about 3 ft off the driveway after their vehicle had to be re keyed. :laughing:
I know all this because I'm related to a person who is neighbor's with the above mentioned idiots.
The bottom line is that people will try to take advantage of a detectorist and if they are not willing to help you with permission to hunt then they can find their own S*** !!!!.
I'm not in the business of returning items to irresponsible people who lose stuff.
I'm not a public servant by any means.
Many times I've been asked to locate old surveying stakes on properties and farms and never ask for anything other then permission to hunt the property after I find the stakes.
That's a lot cheaper the hiring a surveyor.:D

Back
Top Bottom